Difference between Ibasso T2 and BIG NAME AMPS?
Oct 14, 2007 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

LarryVale

100+ Head-Fier
I have a D1 on order and recently go a T2 from another member here. I like it.

It seems to sound nice using Ipod line out and Iriver H120 line out to my KSC75's. I crank the volume all the way when using the DAPs line out and control the line out signal instead.

The T2 seems to have been poo poo'd by several reviewers here yet ALO audio seems to say on their/his site it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Does its size and promotional efforts, or lack of, have much to do with the perceived quality or is its quality of output only able to be judged subjectively leading to such "bad" marks by some?

Anyone do any blind tests on amps?

Being someone that would never waste money on a monster cable or have racing stripes put on my car to make it go faster, I am wondering who is right or, if there is measurable improvement by spending 250-500 bucks for a "name" amp?

Yeah ok I suffer from Disco ears in conjunction with being a tank crewman in the army, be I ain't deaf yet.

Oct 14, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #2 of 6
I think that with the right pair of headphones, the T2 is a dandy little amplifier. I use mine on the go with my Ultrasone PROline 650s and it sounds very nice indeed, amplifying my 5G iPod!
smily_headphones1.gif

That said, I can understand how critical listening with more demanding headphones might reveal a few shortcomings in comparison to larger, more expensive amps.

Oct 14, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #3 of 6
I compared my new T2 to my Hornet and I have to say... for the money the T2 is a steal.

The one thing I have always liked about the Hornet was its black floor... just such a quiet amp. The Hornet also has more punch and handles my HD600s.

The T2 is not as quiet, but with the gain on low and my ER-4Ps I cant tell enough of a difference to warrant the 3x cost delta, its actually the quietest sounding portable amp I have heard in the 100.00 range by far. I like the T2s size and the spatial and bass enhancement work very well on Etys. It also works very well with my Grados. I have bigger amps to drive the Senns so the T2 fit a perfect need for me on my portable rig.

Overall for its convenience and sound quality and the ability to just recharge it for another 30+ hours of rocking from my USB port its one of the best values I have made here on Head-fi.

Oct 14, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #4 of 6
aha...

Interesting! I actually was thinking about the Hornet as well. You've almost talked me out of it though or any amp aside from the D1. That I want for it's optical in and amp rolling possibilities to satisfy the the tinkerer in me.

I will pay for what does the job in the best way. Remembering what the mission is, vs what I've absorbed as being the mission, is the harder part.

I could probably be driving a 15 year old VW golf. It will get me there. I have a newer Audi instead. I'm a sucker for marketing. Then again people will love me and I'll show I'm a better person driving the Audi.

Gotta go recharge my T2...

Thanks for your thoughts. Helpful!

Oct 17, 2007 at 7:20 AM Post #5 of 6
I use an iBasso T2 to drive Atrios M5s, with a 1st gen nano as source via a line-out dock connector from ALO. It makes everything bigger, airier, and smoother, especially where dynamics are concerned. The handling of the treble is much improved, as in far lower distortion and listening fatigue.

In our BMW 528i (a '99 wagon), I connect the nano and iBasso to the sound system via the cassette player, using a Sony adapter. There is a major difference compared to connecting the nano directly. I tried that and played a well-ripped copy of Harry Connick's "Chanson du Vieux Carre" encoded to Apple Lossless (ripper: Max, using Full Paranoia setting). I could not bear the brass, the sound almost made my ears bleed. Enter the iBasso: everything immediately became listenable and upper dynamic swings no longer hurt. For that level of improvement in a car, I'd say the iBasso sells itself. There is no question that bypassing the nano's internal amplifier allows you to feed a cleanly amplified signal to IEMs or to a car audio system, as opposed to piping in something tinny and harsh. Night and day -- do not blame a well-designed car stereo for unacceptable sound if your source is weak. In this case, the amplification was at issue and the iBasso righted things neatly, allowing the system, with its own amplification added to it, to deliver very acceptable and enjoyable sound through the speakers. It was good enough that we actually listened into the recording for little details with no strain or fatigue, and played several other albums after that. Quite the opposite of Migraine Music.

Now for the other amps. We also use a Hornet and an SR-71 with iMods (4 G) and AKG 701s, and I've substituted the Atrios for a quick check. While they definitely sound as if they are driven close to their optimal performance level, there is not such a huge difference with the nano/iBasso rig using the IEMs, whereas the AKGs open everything up. So, my sense is that the iBasso T2 is a very good match for those IEMs or equivalents and a nano using the line out signal.

Oct 17, 2007 at 10:26 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by philslade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In our BMW 528i (a '99 wagon), I connect the nano and iBasso to the sound system via the cassette player, using a Sony adapter. There is a major difference compared to connecting the nano directly...Enter the iBasso: everything immediately became listenable and upper dynamic swings no longer hurt. For that level of improvement in a car, I'd say the iBasso sells itself.

Never would have thought of this, thanks for the tip!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back