Difference between iBasso D2+ Boa and D4 Mamba?
May 30, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #16 of 19

Quote:
I downloaded the Beatles collection in 320kbps MP3. I forget why/how it happened, but I ended up ripping one of the albums I already had into the same 320kbps MP3 format. I was shocked with how much better it sounded. Even with my old, worn out speakers I could hear the amazing difference.

I'm not denying that the people who uploaded the music didn't rip it off the CD, I'm just saying that after upgrading your headphones, ripping all your music personally is the next best step to satisfying your audiophillia.

wow. i took your advice here and reripped the CD bleep.com sent me of Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma. I had received a LAME 320 kbps rip online from them, and I encoded at the exact preset, LAME 320 kbps. This album sounds so much better. More punch, and overall more clear. It seems like the old rip was distorted...

I actually first noticed (thought I noticed this effect) when I burned my own CD copy of the recent Delorean release. the online version sounded so small and grainy. the CD rip is better here too. my D4 is singing. =)

May 30, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #17 of 19
Sorry, I guess I should be more clear.

I was one of the people chosen to review the Coppers. I'm looking for something that will unlock the full potential, so I can provide a better review and so I can enjoy it more myself. I'm not really sure if a DAC is a must or not. My source will be my iPod or my computer, and yes affordability is a big factor. I'm not sure what modifications I want to make to the MTPC's sound, since I haven't received and listened to them yet.

I hope that helps, and thank you.
So a DAC is a must? I have to ask, what exactly are you looking for? This started with either the D2 or the D4, then mentioned a Mini^3 so I thought you were just looking for an amp.

How will you be using this? Do you want an amp, a DAC, or both? Are you going to use this with an iPod, a laptop, or what? Not really sure what you are after. I would just recommend something like the D10 or the D4 and be done with it, but it seems you are also looking for something affordable since you are now looking at the Icon Mobile.

Anyway, I only heard the Icon Mobile once and did not use an LOD. It's about on the same level as the D2 Boa but I haven't really done a proper comparison. It's an alternative to the Boa for sure.

The Mamba and the Cobra are clearly a few notches above it.
If you are looking at the Icon Mobile, you might as well check out the FiiO E7 as well, which IMO is the better deal. This still depends mostly on what kind of sound sig you are looking for. 

So it comes down to:

What exactly do you want
How will you use it
What kind of sound are you after

Recommendations will be different based on the answers to those three.

May 30, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #18 of 19

Quote:

wow. i took your advice here and reripped the CD bleep.com sent me of Flying Lotus - Cosmogramma. I had received a LAME 320 kbps rip online from them, and I encoded at the exact preset, LAME 320 kbps. This album sounds so much better. More punch, and overall more clear. It seems like the old rip was distorted...

I actually first noticed (thought I noticed this effect) when I burned my own CD copy of the recent Delorean release. the online version sounded so small and grainy. the CD rip is better here too. my D4 is singing. =)

Haha I'm glad you tested it out for yourself and enjoyed the results! I've completely stopped downloading music online, ripping from CDs sounds so much better! And since my local library has a large collection of CDs to borrow, my wallet can feel better too.

May 30, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #19 of 19
Helps a lot actually.

You'll probably want to go with a DAC/Amp combo indeed, just because you're also using your PC. The E7 might be the thing for you. DAC/Amp and is really great at driving IEMs, at an unbelievably price. E7 has variable bass boost functions as well so you can try out different sounds with it.

I wish I could do a proper comparison though with the Mamba or the Cobra just to see how they stack up. But I think the E7 would be a very good buy for you, and it costs like $80.

Quote:
Sorry, I guess I should be more clear.

I was one of the people chosen to review the Coppers. I'm looking for something that will unlock the full potential, so I can provide a better review and so I can enjoy it more myself. I'm not really sure if a DAC is a must or not. My source will be my iPod or my computer, and yes affordability is a big factor. I'm not sure what modifications I want to make to the MTPC's sound, since I haven't received and listened to them yet.

I hope that helps, and thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back