Difference between HRT Music Streamer II and II+
Jan 25, 2011 at 7:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ben201

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I was looking at the reviews of the few recommnded dacs and I found HRT Music Streamer II and II+.

I am thinking about getting one of the two, but the + version is twice the price :p

Is it worth it for noob like me to pay twice more for + version
or would it be better for me to just by II.

Please help :wink:

Also I need an amp, I have terminator V4, and I would like something that will get along very well with the dac and the headphones

Thank you

Jan 25, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #4 of 17
We cant answer that - how many folk do you think are going to buy *both* ? third-eye has the '+' and I have the base model II - we could both write page long posts on the ways in which our DACs make us happy, but its futile. VFM is an individual 'award' : my advice is to buy the most expensive components you can afford. Sell your car, if you have to. If that sounds insane, just buy the base model and be happy.

Jan 25, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 17

Quote:
We cant answer that - how many folk do you think are going to buy *both* ? third-eye has the '+' and I have the base model II - we could both write page long posts on the ways in which our DACs make us happy, but its futile. VFM is an individual 'award' : my advice is to buy the most expensive components you can afford. Sell your car, if you have to. If that sounds insane, just buy the base model and be happy.

Wow, thank you so much for the reply......

That helped me out figure out which direction i want to go to :)

Jan 25, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #7 of 17
http://www.headfonia.com/the-hrt-music-streamer-ii-asynchronous-2496-for-149-95/
http://www.headfonia.com/hrt-music-streamer-ii-2496-usb-dac/

Read those, it also includes a comparison between the two units. For what it's worth I agree with estreeter though :D.

Jan 26, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #8 of 17
Just to make things a tad more confusing, keep in mind that there are TWO versions of the HRT Music Streamer II.  HRT reports that nothing has changed electrically, but specs show that the unit has improved =]

Along the lines of the same question:

I'm able to purchase a Music Streamer II (old version) for $180 shipped

Or I can purchase the revised version of the MS2 (smaller, with LEDs) for $230 shipped.

Is the price difference worth it to you guys?

Jan 26, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #9 of 17
Second this, I also have the Music Streamer II+.
It has a lovely, detailed expansive sound compared to my previous DAC (e7) I have it connected to a M-Stage amp, and the sound from my thunderpants is just wonderful.

Quote:
The II+ is the higher end version and by most accounts a significant upgrade. I have the II+ and it's a wonderful dac for its price and if you don't need additional connections or other features. But the II is also supposed to be great for it's asking price.

Jan 26, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #10 of 17
If you like indicator LED go for that, personally I don't think it's worth the difference at the prices you stated. I don't think you are able to discern 1db of difference, realistically. What concerns me though is the new PCB is vastly difference and look like the II+ more, so might be just might be that the change might be not small like spec stated if you have revealing gear. But who would buy the same device twice for different rev to compare is the problem.

Jan 26, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #11 of 17

Alright thank you!  You've helped me decide--and I went for the older revision because my gear isn't very high end nor is it revealing (Denon D2000's + Paradigm Atoms), so I probably would not notice a big difference if any at all.

Quote:
If you like indicator LED go for that, personally I don't think it's worth the difference at the prices you stated. I don't think you are able to discern 1db of difference, realistically. What concerns me though is the new PCB is vastly difference and look like the II+ more, so might be just might be that the change might be not small like spec stated if you have revealing gear. But who would buy the same device twice for different rev to compare is the problem.

Feb 3, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #13 of 17
I 've never heard the II but just bought the II+ last week.

I like the way it delivers pristine treble extension without making the music thin & analytical. My pet peeve in audio is thin strident sound, and I'm glad to say the II+ is tonally correct; delivers music in their full-bodied glory (not bloated).

A very engaging delivery if the rest of the system components are as capable.

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #14 of 17
yea, the other critical part of this is  the rest of your gear - I'm not sure if you posted what you have or are using but I do see that you are also looking for an amp.  You should stay with whatever is most in line with the rest of your gear.  Personally, I'd get a better than normal DAC if you are primarily using a digital source (your PC in this case) but don't make it way out of wack with the rest of your gear.  I have the HRT MS2+ and love it but I also believe the non + is really good.  So if you were using a CMOY amp or something like that (going to the extreem here) then the 2+ is overkill.  It has a better DAC (though has the same data depth), a lower noise floor and a different circuit between the DAC and out output connection (taking this from memory from different reviews) but both are still very good (they are both 24/96 and asynchronous so they are largely similar - and both are much better then the iStreamer)

probably no help.

Feb 9, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #15 of 17
PC as source (playing FLAC's), and Indeed G2 (6N11/6922/6N23P, haven't yet decided what model to order) + Sennheiser HD598 in the other end. Do you think it'd be necessary to go for II+ version (ie. do you think you could hear the difference between II/II+ with this kind of gear)?

I might upgrade to HD650 / something in similar price range (with a bit more bass than 598) in the future, but it's not going to happen any time soon..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back