difference between Gilmore Lite & GS-1
Apr 13, 2008 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

V-DiV

100+ Head-Fier
What's the difference between the Gilmore Lite and GS-1? From pictures, it looks like they have exactly the same discrete amplifier modules, except that GS-1 has 2 of them. Is GS-1 simply a dual mono version of Gilmore Lite?

Is there a big difference in sound quality to justify the $280 cost difference of Gilmore Lite (+power supply) vs. GS-1?

-----------------------------------------
at the moment:
ALAC -> Squeezebox Duet -> HD595

for the near future:
(K701!?) & amp (VHP-2, Gilmore Lite, ...?)

Apr 13, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #3 of 9
The GS-1 isn't dual mono. The major differences that I can tell are, the addition of a second headphone out, a second input and a preamp out. I'm guessing the PSU might be better than than DPS as well.

Apr 13, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks mlarn for the link. I remember, now, reading Asr's review. It helps a lot to put GS Lite and GS-1 into perspective.

Somewhere, someone suggested that CI Audio's VHP-2 was on the warm side for SS and SQ-wise is between GS Lite and GS-1, but it has been hard to pin that down because few seem to be familiar with VHP-2. I would prefer to not spend as much as the GS-1 goes for even though it is tempting.

PFKMan23: So the second GS-1 amp module must be for the pre-amp output?

Apr 13, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #5 of 9
I have no idea if the second module is for the preamp. You'd have to ask Justin about that.

Apr 13, 2008 at 4:41 PM Post #6 of 9
The 2 modules are for the two channels. If you compare the GLite board you will also identify the parts of the two modules on the board. The GS-X has four boards because of the 4 channels.

Apr 13, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxlMusikfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The GS-X has four boards because of the 4 channels.

Assuming that all 4 boards are active during usage they would be to power the 4 phases (L-, L+, R- and R+). That's still 2 channels
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #8 of 9
I don't really know... but... it appears that the two amps are identical... except... the GS-1 has PNP modules, a beefier power supply, the extra inputs / outputs... and maybe the optional stepped attenuator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back