Difference between EQ and Headphone amp
Mar 15, 2009 at 8:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

giveup

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, does anyone feel the difference between setting up an EQ to ROCK , on the D2 and adding an amp to it ? The bass in my ck7 is enhanced both, but the feeling is not the same, but I can't tell. Anyone has the same feeling as mine?
L3000.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #2 of 6
It shows CK7 (or your ears) does not respond much to amping and the D2 has a rock EQ that you can't turn off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by giveup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but the feeling is not the same, but I can't tell.

confused.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 9:49 AM Post #3 of 6
sorry; I dont know that I understand. which amp are you using ?? and are you saying that there is no difference between using an amp with D2 and just using EQ?? thats about as much as I could decipher

Mar 15, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #4 of 6
I don't know your equipment, but if your cans are easily driven, and the amplification of whatever source you are using is sufficient to drive it properly - EQing could theoretically give you an effect comparable to an amplifier that increase bass response.

If it sounds different that's probably because your amplifier helps drive your cans properly so dynamics and transient response is improved - and/or that the amplifier change the bass response in a different way compared to your equalizer filter.

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #5 of 6
my amp is iqube .I try to test my D2 with some wav song file today, i actually like my ck7 with the amp more than setting the ED to Rock mode. And this is my first time to hear the ck7 could give you very deep and strong bass, I used to have super.fi 5 pro though, but it is so uncomfatable, so I just sold it.

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #6 of 6
well iqube is a great amp; but it is almost what I would call excessively transparent, meaning that it add very little in the way of coloration to the sound and some may even find it boring because of this. so if you are using easier to drive headphones, the only difference you are likely to get is a bit more control. so with more control comes better definition, soundstage and extension. so yeah because the iqube is what is known as a 'wire with gain' type amp it will take some time with those HP's to really notice the advantages. now of course if you get yourself a better pair of HP's the difference will IMO be much more pronounced. BTW thats a lot of money to spend on an amp for those HP's!!; normally I would recommend spending more on your HP's than you amp. you however seem to have spent about 4-5 times as much on your amp. get yourself some better headphones and you will feel the power of your amp more; but the iqube will always show improvement more in the areas I mentioned and not so much actual changing of the sound signiture

Users who are viewing this thread

Back