Difference between computer headphone jack/output
Feb 22, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 9
If we are talking about the headphone output on your optical drive, then you should avoid it and hook up to the back.

If you have some sort of special audio interface on the front of your computer, try them both and see which sounds better.
icon10.gif

Feb 22, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 9
The headphone jack in the front of your computer might have some interference from other parts of the computer. It's recommended to use the jack straight off the back of your computer, but if you can't hear a difference between the jacks from the front or back, then use the front for it's convenience. But then again, just get a DAC and AMP and don't worry about front or back of the computer. =]

Feb 24, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for replies. This sounds extremely stupid, but is using a mini-to-mini cable through the output jack on computer the only and the best way to connect the computer to the amplifier? Why are all the mini-to-mini on sale so short? I understand a lot of people use them to connect DAP with amp, but I reckon a lot of people also use it for computer to amp.

Feb 24, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 9
There are many adapters you can buy in the market. For example, there are mini to RCA cables which is the preferred way of connecting a typical sound card to a receiver. If you have to, you can try buying special adapter plugs to fit your needs.

Feb 24, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #7 of 9
I would buy yourself a soundcard. The green jack on the back will carry a stereo signal but if you're connecting to a stereo amp then a mini to 2 rca cable is what you need. Headphone amps, I know little about.

None the less onboard sound isnt too great. As I said, a proper soundcard is the way to go.
What amp are you using? Stereo or headphone amp?

Feb 25, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #9 of 9
Your headphone amp has a mini input jack then?
If this is the case, emu and m-audio soundcards can either be a choice. Theres plenty of different cables and adapters around.
The m-audio 2496 has rca outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back