Difference between capacitors
Jun 26, 2009 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

oneplustwo

Member of the Trade
Anyone have any guidance on whether a radial polyester film cap can be used instead of a metallized polyester film cap? The voltage, capacitance, and tolerances are the same. (This is for a sigma 22 build, C14/C15.) I tried searching for differences in caps but couldn't find anything useful.

Jun 26, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneplustwo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone have any guidance on whether a radial polyester film cap can be used instead of a metallized polyester film cap? The voltage, capacitance, and tolerances are the same. (This is for a sigma 22 build, C14/C15.) I tried searching for differences in caps but couldn't find anything useful.

Radial refers to the shape of the leads -- axial would be the opposite. Metalized means that the metal is directly applied to the film -- film and foil would be the opposite. The "radial polyester film" is almost certainly metalized, and the "metalized polyester film" that Amb suggests is radial.

Jun 26, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #3 of 11
That all makes sense to me. So there really isn't any difference then practically? I've noticed a Xicon cap I have in mind isn't "boxed" like the ones I've seen used in this spot before. Don't think it matters, but wanted to ask.

Jun 27, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #4 of 11
Essentially, all caps are the same (assuming they aren't polarized of course) but because of the different methods they achieve capacitance they all have a distinct sound signature to them so be careful when mixing and matching

Jul 2, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #6 of 11
Mylar (or Polyester) capacitors sound like *****. Buy a few polypropylenes (sp) for a little more moolah and enjoy.

Jul 2, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiowize /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mylar (or Polyester) capacitors sound like *****. Buy a few polypropylenes (sp) for a little more moolah and enjoy.

Not really, polyester caps can sound great (I've used polypropylene as well).

Jul 2, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #8 of 11
What mylar cap can you recommend? I heard some green ones that were sort of OK back in the day, but that particular cap is long out of production. (I use Auricaps and V-caps in just about everything nowadays)

Jul 2, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

What mylar cap can you recommend? I heard some green ones that were sort of OK back in the day, but that particular cap is long out of production. (I use Auricaps and V-caps in just about everything nowadays)

In space-constrained applications I like the WIMA MKS2 a lot... find them transparent like a WIMA MKP4, but the larger value in smaller size makes them much more usable.

Jul 2, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #10 of 11
You can't go wrong with polypropylenes.

Jul 3, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

We recommend MKT (polyester) Roedersteins on the BantamDAC - they sound great. The Wima MKS do a good job as well. Even as a polyester, they are still superior to electrolytics in that position - including Black Gates.

P.S. The Roedersteins are light green. Perhaps you knew them under that brand name, but Vishay bought them out. I usually refere to them as Vishay-Roedersteins for that reason.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back