Difference between Amp and DAC
Feb 16, 2009 at 8:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

HeadNub

New Head-Fier
So, this is my first post
wink_face.gif

Been checking the forums a lot lately
ph34r.gif

Since so much people talk about Amps and DAC's, wanted to know for what are they and the difference between them?

I read that a DAC is a digital to analog converter, so i have a question, what type of signal a DAP have? i mean players such as iPods, Cowon, Zune, Sony, Sansa, iRiver etc.

Thanks
Sorry for my Noobiness
beerchug.gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #2 of 22
A DAC (= Digital to Analogue Converter) takes a sound signal in digital form as input and converts it to the sound equivalent in analogue form at it's output. An amplifier takes an analogue sound signal at its input and increases it's power so that the sound signal can drive a specified load, such as loudspeakers or headphones.

Feb 16, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadNub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, this is my first post
wink_face.gif

Been checking the forums a lot lately
ph34r.gif

Since so much people talk about Amps and DAC's, wanted to know for what are they and the difference between them?

I read that a DAC is a digital to analog converter, so i have a question, what type of signal a DAP have? i mean players such as iPods, Cowon, Zune, Sony, Sansa, iRiver etc.

Thanks
Sorry for my Noobiness
beerchug.gif

nearly all DAPs have an analog signal as an output (meaning that nearly all external dacs will not work) this includes the ipod, cowon, zune, sony, sansa and the newer irivers.

the ipod however, has a line out dock with outputs a line signal (still analog) but far better for amplification than the headphone jack

the only notable exception is a really old iriver with an optical output (allowing use of an external dac)

Feb 16, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 22
DAC -> Digital to Analog Converter. As the name say, it convert digital audio (as on CD, computer, DAP, ..) into analog audio (as you ears can hear).
Amp -> Amplifies the audio signal, after it has run through the DAC.

Feb 16, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 22
Well, this is my first post on this forum as well. I am a noob as to portable audio but have been involved in home audio for 20 years.
It seems to me the real question you have is "when would I need a DAC and not just an amp?" If so, the answer is that if you have a source that outputs digital, you can circumvent the usually crappy DAC in the source and get much better sound with the outboard DAC. A prime example would be a laptop. If you purchase a headphone amp that includes a DAC, you can get much better sound while streaming audio from the net while using your laptop, or from your hard drive.

Feb 16, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #6 of 22
On that same note, you should know that a portable Digital Audio Player (DAP) will not be able to output a signal to a DAC like a laptop does. The iriver is the exception, which has an optical out, but they arent made anymore.

So for an ipod or a similar device, you are only using an amp if you buy an amp/dac combo, but on a laptop, you can hook up using USB, thus utilizing both parts. DACs are very important, often put above amps for improving sound quality, but if you have a strong DAC, such as the Wolfson used in the 5th and 4th generation ipod classics, then an amp is the next step to improving audio quality.

Feb 17, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #7 of 22
Wow, guys thanks for help.
Now i get it
biggrin.gif

Really great community here

This forum is really addictive, i'm getting so tempted to buy things, i hope i can keep it controlled
eek.gif

Feb 17, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadNub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, guys thanks for help.
Now i get it
biggrin.gif

Really great community here

This forum is really addictive, i'm getting so tempted to buy things, i hope i can keep it controlled
eek.gif

well this sounds like the perfect time to use the traditional welcome we reserve for noobs here

'WELCOME TO HEAD-FI, SORRY ABOUT YOUR WALLET!!'
atsmile.gif

and never a truer word has been said to me

Feb 17, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by imademymark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nearly all DAPs have an analog signal as an output (meaning that nearly all external dacs will not work) this includes the ipod, cowon, zune, sony, sansa and the newer irivers.

the ipod however, has a line out dock with outputs a line signal (still analog) but far better for amplification than the headphone jack

the only notable exception is a really old iriver with an optical output (allowing use of an external dac)

I think the latest generation iPods' headphone out signal quality is pretty much as good as the line out for amplification.

I believe the (much improved) change started from the 5.5 Gen. I've got a 160GB Classic (6th Gen) and the headphone out is absolutely brilliant and pretty much as good as the line out signal.

I've an RSA Mustang ($375!) portable amp and this is ONLY very good when needed to amplify, ie, get more volume with my Sennheiser HD650.

However, even unamplified, straight out of the HP out, the sound is brilliant, and the volume not bad at all. But for some classical music, the amp helps with more volume, but not really with improving the sound.

And, for HeadNub, yes welcome! A piece of advice, though: Read as many reviews as possible, and from trusted Head-fiers so you don't end up purchasing (a lot of expensive) gear you may NOT really need thinking it would make a massive difference from what you already have or from something that may not so expensive and do the trick

Case in point, this cable:
http://www.headphonia.com/Lyrix-Acce...1m::10068.html

Often, expensive gear can (simply) be hype coupled with fancy jargon, a generally effective marketing tool - good luck!!

Apr 7, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #12 of 22
hello, another noob here
smily_headphones1.gif
i was wondering whether the soundcard of a laptop determines some of the sound quality in a laptop->DAC/AMP->Headphones setup? i mean, if i were to set up a DAC on my laptop, would i get bad SQ if i use an integrated soundcard? In some cases would a DAP->AMP->Headphones be a better choice?

Apr 7, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by trinket3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hello, another noob here
smily_headphones1.gif
i was wondering whether the soundcard of a laptop determines some of the sound quality in a laptop->DAC/AMP->Headphones setup? i mean, if i were to set up a DAC on my laptop, would i get bad SQ if i use an integrated soundcard? In some cases would a DAP->AMP->Headphones be a better choice?

You'll want to read this:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/be...primer-410022/

If not the thread, at least the first post.

Apr 9, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the latest generation iPods' headphone out signal quality is pretty much as good as the line out for amplification.

[size=medium]I believe the (much improved) change started from the 5.5 Gen. I've got a 160GB Classic (6th Gen) and the headphone out is absolutely brilliant and pretty much as good as the line out signal.[/size]

I've an RSA Mustang ($375!) portable amp and this is ONLY very good when needed to amplify, ie, get more volume with my Sennheiser HD650.

However, even unamplified, straight out of the HP out, the sound is brilliant, and the volume not bad at all. But for some classical music, the amp helps with more volume, but not really with improving the sound.

And, for HeadNub, yes welcome! A piece of advice, though: Read as many reviews as possible, and from trusted Head-fiers so you don't end up purchasing (a lot of expensive) gear you may NOT really need thinking it would make a massive difference from what you already have or from something that may not so expensive and do the trick

Case in point, this cable:
Headphonia.com - USB DAC Cable 33'' (1m)

Often, expensive gear can (simply) be hype coupled with fancy jargon, a generally effective marketing tool - good luck!!

[size=large]X2 [/size]I have two 5th gen (60gb and 80gb) videos and I too cannot tell the difference between the LOD and the Headphone out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back