Difference between all the Sennheiser HD 500 series?
Sep 18, 2017 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

YJX94

500+ Head-Fier
There's so many in the HD 500 series that it makes it difficult to choose.

Which headphone in the HD 500 series is the absolute best for music/movies and has the best soundstage and imaging?

Please don't recommend other headphones, only those within the HD 500 series.

Thanks.

Sep 18, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 12
For the Sennheiser HD500 series headphones, if the Ohms are listed as the same, chances are they are using the same diaphragm (generally speaking).
So the 50-Ohm HD518 & HD558 & HD598 models all appear to use the same diaphragm, but each model appears to be tweaked for a slightly different sound.
The cheaper models appear to be more geared for more bass, where as the higher priced models should be better in all other areas.

Sep 18, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #3 of 12
For the Sennheiser HD500 series headphones, if the Ohms are listed as the same, chances are they are using the same diaphragm (generally speaking).
So the 50-Ohm HD518 & HD558 & HD598 models all appear to use the same diaphragm, but each model appears to be tweaked for a slightly different sound.
The cheaper models appear to be more geared for more bass, whereas the higher priced models should be better in all other areas.
On Sennheisers website they currently have the following from the HD 500 series: HD 599, HD 598/SE/SR, HD 579, HD 569, HD 558, HD 559, HD 518. If there's an HD 500 headphone in existence that's not on their website then I'm going to assume that it's been discontinued.

With that said, which of those that I have listed are the best all-rounders with the best soundstage and imaging?, I haven't listed the 598 CS because those are closed back, only interested in the open back ones.

If there's an HD 500 series headphone that is not listed here but is better than all these then please say so but not the HD 580's, those can't be found anywhere.

Sep 18, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 12
The only headphones I own out of that series is are the HD 598 se's. By their acclaim, they most likely have the widest soundstage out of any of the 500 series, and that is their strongest point. They are attuned to sound good with a wide range of music with their warm-neutral sound signature. I consider the HD 598's a bit light in the bass, but the bass is definitely there. The HD 599's are positioned just above that but are more attuned to pop music with a narrower soundstage. Here's the impressions on the HD 599's of one reviewer on amazon:

"... Sound wise, the 599 is not so much an improvement over the 598. It's more of a different sound signature. Fundamentally, its very similar but tuned more to a focused sound as opposed to a more open sound of the 598. The 599 seems to be a better match to pop oriented music. Another way of understanding the difference is if you want a closer to the band experience, go with the 599. A few rows back to take in the concert hall cues, go with the 598. I still prefer the 598 for music in which a wider soundscape is desired. What the 599 looses in sound stage, it gains in focus and a stronger bass impact. There are at times a sense of a tuby sound in vocals depending on the source. I do prefer the 579 as it is a bit more neutral sounding. This is nit picking though and I highly recommend the 599 to anyone looking for a open back with some closed back attributes."

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #5 of 12
On Sennheisers website they currently have the following from the HD 500 series: HD 599, HD 598/SE/SR, HD 579, HD 569, HD 558, HD 559, HD 518. If there's an HD 500 headphone in existence that's not on their website then I'm going to assume that it's been discontinued.
With that said, which of those that I have listed are the best all-rounders with the best soundstage and imaging?, I haven't listed the 598 CS because those are closed back, only interested in the open back ones.
If there's an HD 500 series headphone that is not listed here but is better than all these then please say so but not the HD 580's, those can't be found anywhere.
The old HD580 is part of the HD580/HD600/HD650/HD6XX (300-Ohm) series.

For a good bang for the buck, buy a (used $60-$80) HD558 and remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups, gives you something almost as good as the HD598.

It might help to know what source(s) your planning on plugging the headphones into?

Sep 18, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 12
The old HD580 is part of the HD580/HD600/HD650/HD6XX (300-Ohm) series.

For a good bang for the buck, buy a (used $60-$80) HD558 and remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups, gives you something almost as good as the HD598.

It might help to know what source(s) your planning on plugging the headphones into?
I'm plugging them into my PC whose onboard audio is already great, don't need an amp for the HD 500 series.

I just need to know which of the HD 500 series has the best soundstage and imaging, everyone says the HD 598 but many people also say a modded 558 is close to it as well as you just suggested.

Sep 18, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #7 of 12
Some may not know this here, but the HD5xx series goes way back. And newer isn't always better. If you PC has a very good output stage an you happen upon a vintage HD540 300ohm in great condition grab it. Read about it here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wow-sennheiser-hd-540-reference-are-so-good.670255/

You have to consider the technology for creating these kind of transducers is decades old. A newer HD599 isn't more technically advanced than an older HD595 and arguably not as linear and as proficient as the HD540 and HD580 drivers.

If you get an older HD580 that would also be gold. Essentially you'll be getting an HD600, and like most high-quality Sennheiser won't have an issue finding replacement pads and cables if ever required.

HD558 is a very common headphone that is overpriced in the stores. It is very good, and you may prefer it without the mod @PurpleAngel recommended.

Personally I think the 580 is overall your best and most practical bet and you'd be getting a reference headphone for music.

Sep 19, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #8 of 12
Some may not know this here, but the HD5xx series goes way back. And newer isn't always better. If you PC has a very good output stage an you happen upon a vintage HD540 300ohm in great condition grab it. Read about it here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wow-sennheiser-hd-540-reference-are-so-good.670255/

You have to consider the technology for creating these kind of transducers is decades old. A newer HD599 isn't more technically advanced than an older HD595 and arguably not as linear and as proficient as the HD540 and HD580 drivers.

If you get an older HD580 that would also be gold. Essentially you'll be getting an HD600, and like most high-quality Sennheiser won't have an issue finding replacement pads and cables if ever required.

HD558 is a very common headphone that is overpriced in the stores. It is very good, and you may prefer it without the mod @PurpleAngel recommended.

Personally I think the 580 is overall your best and most practical bet and you'd be getting a reference headphone for music.
HD 540 and HD 580 are impossible to find, I want a headphone that I can find on Amazon for new and just buy them, simple process. I already have HD 600's, there's a reason I said not to recommend any other headphones besides the HD 500 series. Just need an HD 500 series which has the best soundstage and imaging without modding or anything, don't care about extra bass or etc.

Thank you for your suggestions however, it is much appreciated.

Sep 30, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #9 of 12
There's so many in the HD 500 series that it makes it difficult to choose.

Which headphone in the HD 500 series is the absolute best for music/movies and has the best soundstage and imaging?

Please don't recommend other headphones, only those within the HD 500 series.

Thanks.
I own the HD 518, HD 558 and HD 598. Which one is better? Well this is entirely subjective. After some research I did confirm that all three have the same drivers, just that the cup arrangements are different. With that said the HD 518 offers incredible value. It gives a well balanced sound signature, however the sound stage is not as good as the higher parts in the former 5XX lineup. The sound has a slight closed feel to it even though this is not a closed pair. Personally, the HD 518 is the under appreciated step child in the line up due to its positioning by Sennhieser itself. The value is incredible for the price I paid for it. It was retailing at around $67 on Amazon when I picked it up mid 2016. That is till the new 500 lineup showed up then it became more scarce. On closer inspection the HD 559 mirrors the technical specifications of the HD 518 exactly. Could the new HD 559 be a dressed up HD 518 or is there actually a difference? Well again it all goes down to what changes happened in the cup. Personally, I would not expect much of a difference.

The HD 558 has got well defined bass which is not boomy by any means and does a decent job of representing the high end of the frequency spectrum if you don't mind the slight compression in the high's within a specific frequency range, which is also called the 'Sennheiser Veil' if I am not mistaken. Personally, I am used to it and it does not bother me too much. The music is punchy but on the darker side compared to the HD 598. The mids are not too aggressive but certainly not lacking. This however, does not have that expansive airy feel the HD 598 offers. The HD 558 is an all rounder with more sound stage than the HD 518 but not by much. Picked the HD 558 up on Ebay for $69 new, around June this year. It's decent for gaming and music alike as it does bring a fair amount of focus to individual sounds.

Finally we come to the HD 598. The former flag ship in the 500 series, I would say has a slightly clinical sound with lots of detail specially in the mids and the high's till you hit the 'veil'. The veil is not as pronounced as in the HD 558. The sound stage is significantly expansive than the lower part numbers in the former 5XX lineup. While I am no fan of boomy bass, the bass can have little more impact to create some excitement as opposed to being analytical. The bass is there and well defined but controlled which does not help with the impact but its still present enough to enjoy your music.The HD 598 are insanely comfortable and very easy on the ears, you can wear them for hours on end without feeling overwhelmed or feeling fatigued. The HD 598 are not the best for gaming in my opinion as they are more focused on the overall expansive sound and the impact of foot steps and gun fire are not particularly highlighted over the other sounds. The HD 518 and HD 558 are very good in the comfort department but the 598's take the cake. To be fair the deficiency in bass impact is not a deal breaker for me and I still enjoy listening to them often. Are the HD 598's worth the $249 I paid back in 2012? I don't think so, since its counterparts in the 500 series offer very good performance for half the price if not lower.

These are my subjective opinions on the former HD 5XX lineup from Sennhieser. I use all three in different scenarios both at home and work. But I make it a point to audition them all on my FIIO E10 plugged into my desktop which gives them a fair bit of amplification when making a comparison. Out of the three I would say the HD 598 benefits the most from amplification as it tends to slightly improve impact. Again these opinions are subjective and anyone is free to disagree with them.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #10 of 12
I own the HD 518, HD 558 and HD 598. Which one is better? Well this is entirely subjective. After some research I did confirm that all three have the same drivers, just that the cup arrangements are different. With that said the HD 518 offers incredible value. It gives a well balanced sound signature, however the sound stage is not as good as the higher parts in the former 5XX lineup. The sound has a slight closed feel to it even though this is not a closed pair. Personally, the HD 518 is the under appreciated step child in the line up due to its positioning by Sennhieser itself. The value is incredible for the price I paid for it. It was retailing at around $67 on Amazon when I picked it up mid 2016. That is till the new 500 lineup showed up then it became more scarce. On closer inspection the HD 559 mirrors the technical specifications of the HD 518 exactly. Could the new HD 559 be a dressed up HD 518 or is there actually a difference? Well again it all goes down to what changes happened in the cup. Personally, I would not expect much of a difference.

The HD 558 has got well defined bass which is not boomy by any means and does a decent job of representing the high end of the frequency spectrum if you don't mind the slight compression in the high's within a specific frequency range, which is also called the 'Sennheiser Veil' if I am not mistaken. Personally, I am used to it and it does not bother me too much. The music is punchy but on the darker side compared to the HD 598. The mids are not too aggressive but certainly not lacking. This however, does not have that expansive airy feel the HD 598 offers. The HD 558 is an all rounder with more sound stage than the HD 518 but not by much. Picked the HD 558 up on Ebay for $69 new, around June this year. It's decent for gaming and music alike as it does bring a fair amount of focus to individual sounds.

Finally we come to the HD 598. The former flag ship in the 500 series, I would say has a slightly clinical sound with lots of detail specially in the mids and the high's till you hit the 'veil'. The veil is not as pronounced as in the HD 558. The sound stage is significantly expansive than the lower part numbers in the former 5XX lineup. While I am no fan of boomy bass, the bass can have little more impact to create some excitement as opposed to being analytical. The bass is there and well defined but controlled which does not help with the impact but its still present enough to enjoy your music.The HD 598 are insanely comfortable and very easy on the ears, you can wear them for hours on end without feeling overwhelmed or feeling fatigued. The HD 598 are not the best for gaming in my opinion as they are more focused on the overall expansive sound and the impact of foot steps and gun fire are not particularly highlighted over the other sounds. The HD 518 and HD 558 are very good in the comfort department but the 598's take the cake. To be fair the deficiency in bass impact is not a deal breaker for me and I still enjoy listening to them often. Are the HD 598's worth the $249 I paid back in 2012? I don't think so, since its counterparts in the 500 series offer very good performance for half the price if not lower.

These are my subjective opinions on the former HD 5XX lineup from Sennhieser. I use all three in different scenarios both at home and work. But I make it a point to audition them all on my FIIO E10 plugged into my desktop which gives them a fair bit of amplification when making a comparison. Out of the three I would say the HD 598 benefits the most from amplification as it tends to slightly improve impact. Again these opinions are subjective and anyone is free to disagree with them.
Wow didn't think anyone would reply to this thread after all this time.

Thank you very much for the long and detailed answer, I guess the 598 is best overall just out of the box without any modding or etc. So 598 is the one I would get within the 5X8 series, it's currently very cheap where I live. But what about the 5X9 series? I'm guessing the 599 is the best there and how does the 598 compare to the 599?

Sep 30, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #11 of 12
Wow didn't think anyone would reply to this thread after all this time.

Thank you very much for the long and detailed answer, I guess the 598 is best overall just out of the box without any modding or etc. So 598 is the one I would get within the 5X8 series, it's currently very cheap where I live. But what about the 5X9 series? I'm guessing the 599 is the best there and how does the 598 compare to the 599?
I could not tell you off hand. But from the reading I have been doing, the 599 sacrifices sound stage for more emphasis on the bass and highs. Some people say its a bit darker sounding than the 598. In reality, that's all I heard about it so your guess is as good as mine. It would not be unrealistic though because the number one complaint about the 598 was the lack of bass presence so it would only seem logical that Sennheiser addressed that with the new model albeit with the sacrifice of sound stage. Where I live I can't sample it in the store unless I buy it or know someone who owns a 599. I was considering the 599 but after searching the net I decided to differ the purchase decision as I could not find enough evidence that the improvement would justify the purchase. End of the day if you are after sound stage can't go wrong with the 598 specially if its cheap. I would also say that the sound of the 598 is cleaner and more detailed compared to the 518 & 558.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #12 of 12
I could not tell you off hand. But from the reading I have been doing, the 599 sacrifices sound stage for more emphasis on the bass and highs. Some people say its a bit darker sounding than the 598. In reality, that's all I heard about it so your guess is as good as mine. It would not be unrealistic though because the number one complaint about the 598 was the lack of bass presence so it would only seem logical that Sennheiser addressed that with the new model albeit with the sacrifice of sound stage. Where I live I can't sample it in the store unless I buy it or know someone who owns a 599. I was considering the 599 but after searching the net I decided to differ the purchase decision as I could not find enough evidence that the improvement would justify the purchase. End of the day if you are after sound stage can't go wrong with the 598 specially if its cheap. I would also say that the sound of the 598 is cleaner and more detailed compared to the 518 & 558.
Yeah HD 599 is well overpriced, might as well shell out the extra cash and get an HD 600. Well looks like the HD 598 is my goto top choice in the HD 5XX series.

Thanks for the insight and help, have a good day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back