Difference between a maxed out Pimeta and a Pimeta?
post-1411041
Post #1 of 3

Cyrilix

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
What would be the differences between the two? I've often heard the terms maxed out Pimeta, but I don't understand (spec-wise) what differences there are. Also, does it depend on which opamp is used? Would anyone know anything about the opa2227 / opa227?

Sorry for the newb questions, but I would like to learn about amps and all these complex gadgets!

post-1412973
Post #3 of 3

wang228

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
hi Cyrilix,
The term maxed out could mean different things for different people. I've made a pimeta and my idea of maxing it out is something like you are using your favorite opamp (many here like OPA627/637, AD8610/20, AD843 in pimeta), no input protection, biasing it to class A, using multiple buffers (i've heard up to 4 BUF634 per channels), using high quality potentiometer (ALP RK27) and other high quality parts (large boutique capacitors, precisely matched left/right channel resistors, good RCA connectors/headphone jacks), and finally using a good power supply (STEPS, THREAD, etc..).
THe good stationary basic pimeta would use something like 1 or 2 buffers per channel, class A biased, Elpac WM080 power supply, and good parts but not necessarily anything fancy (I think Tangent suggestion on his website is very reasonable). The difference between the maxed-out and a good basic one might not be worth the money, imo. Might as well build/purchase a different amp with a superior design (PPA/M3).
wang

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)