diff amps w/ k501
Dec 14, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 6
I had a pair of AKG401's and listened with a MAD Ear plus HD and PA2. The Mad sounded quite nice and the PA2 didn't really drive them well enough in comparison. The Mad had better bass and wider soundstage, mids were similar with bost amps.

Dec 14, 2005 at 12:44 PM Post #3 of 6
Search is your friend. There have been a number of posts about amping the 501s although I am not optimistic about your chances of finding someone comparing particular combinations including (what I think is) an obscure amp. Good luck.

Dec 14, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff E
Search is your friend. There have been a number of posts about amping the 501s although I am not optimistic about your chances of finding someone comparing particular combinations including (what I think is) an obscure amp. Good luck.

I thought there'd be a good chance someone might have tried a Electric Avenues amp w/ the k501 because when I bought my Elec Ave 2 amp, they were a hot item here on Head-FI. It got great reveiws for the money. It's also known as the Pocket Amp 2 or PA2. There are a lot of threads on em but none when used w/ k501's.

Dec 14, 2005 at 3:52 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred
I thought there'd be a good chance someone might have tried a Electric Avenues amp w/ the k501 because when I bought my Elec Ave 2 amp, they were a hot item here on Head-FI. It got great reveiws for the money. It's also known as the Pocket Amp 2 or PA2. There are a lot of threads on em but none when used w/ k501's.

My mistake, Fred. I did not make the connection between the "Elec Ave 2" with the Pocket Amp 2. Maybe someone who has experience with the PA2, 501s, and other amps will see this thread and respond. When I have made similar requests for info in the past, sometimes folks who are not comfortable presenting their opinions in a post have offered their POV in private communications. However it is delivered, I hope you get some useful information to inform your decision.

Jeff

Dec 14, 2005 at 3:54 PM Post #6 of 6
I use my antique sound lab OTL MK 111 tube amp to power my 501s.Their great sounding phones but the really need power to sound good.My little Gilmore lite can't quite do the job.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back