Dielectric Chemical/Sealant?
Jan 16, 2007 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

rean1mator

100+ Head-Fier
Hi There,
I'm going to take a shot at making my own cables(rca and mini to mini).

I've got a question.

Is there a sealant I can buy that I can fill the exposed cabling at the connector?

A liquid chemical that hardens after you've inserted it into plug/connector?

i recently bought some black mountain cables and they used some sort of silicone/rubber sealant type compound inside the plug/connector.

I"m assuming this is the best method in order to ensure no oxidizing occurs.

Thanks!

Jan 16, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #3 of 3
If you want something more serious than Silicone calk your local hardware store has, perhaps one option would be DuPont Sylgard 184? We use it in the lab at school, although I've never using it for it's intended application (i.e. tried potting w/ it :). It's a 2 part mix, and I don't think it has much in the way of solvent. We make a lot of 1" x 0.25" discs out of the stuff and they come out clear, moderately stiff but still quite flexible. Harder than bathroom caulk, but that can be changed by the ratio of elastomer to curing agent. RT cure is something like overnight, so you have plenty of working time to get your cable together just right. It also isn’t very “gluey” – it will make a conformal coating which will hold things in place, but it doesn’t stick very strongly. It should stay in place, but it’s not glue. If you slap it in a 70 degC oven, it will cure in an hour or two. Nice stuff, and I think you might be able to get a sample of 1 lb of it (or I think it's ~ $30 for a 1lb kit). You're supposed to "de-air" it by, say, pulling a slight vacuum on it (aspirator probably suffices), otherwise it will have some small air bubbles left over from mixing the two components, but it still should work. Note that (a) I have not tried this and (b) Sylgard 184 is an industrial chemical and you should probably read the MSDS sheet and such before using it and exercise appropriate caution.

In all seriousness, this is probably overkill :)

Sylgard 184:
http://www.dowcorning.com/applicatio...4291&type=PROD
note the link to the data sheet on the bottom-right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back