Dido or Nickelback?
Oct 24, 2003 at 8:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Welly Wu

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all!

I'm going to buy another CD today but I can't decide between Dido's Life for Rent or Nickelback's The Long Road.
confused.gif
I love female vocals but I also consider myself a hard rocker too. I kind of rather pick one or the other as I'm starting to save up a ton of cash to finance my competitive shooting career. Thanks.

Oct 24, 2003 at 8:11 AM Post #3 of 12
Iron_Dreamer,

Yeah, I just did a search for both albums through All Media Guide and they gave Nickelback's album just two out of five stars. Dido's album is much better and sweeter. So, I'll get her album. Thanks.

Oct 24, 2003 at 8:20 AM Post #4 of 12
Dido, I agree, I can stand her but Nickelback = blaaarrrrghhh
tongue.gif

Welly, don't put any stock in AMG's ratings. Maybe their reviews, but not the stars. Most of the time they make no sense (or are dead wrong
tongue.gif
).

Oct 24, 2003 at 8:26 AM Post #5 of 12
No problem, I was just speaking my mind, as usual. Every Nickelback song I've ever heard (their singles) struck me as a putrid combo of nu-metal and country western comehow intended to suck in the entire youth market by seeming hard and havey for the guys but sensative for the girls. The degree to which that band has been marketed really digusts me as well.

I wouldn't always count on those AMG reviews though, since they gave one of the worst abortions in the history of rock (Metallica's St. Anger) 4 stars, and gave an album that is consistently an Iron Maiden fans' favorite a 2 (that being Somewhere in Time). The reviews are very inconsistent, since they do not stick with one writer for each band's entire history, and sometimes the reviewers seem to be completely unfamiliar with the associated genres.

Yay for your soon-to-be new Dido CD!

Yay for my 300th Head-Fi post!

Oct 24, 2003 at 8:56 AM Post #7 of 12
It's fairly obvious that Nickelback is garbage...they're played all the time here, as part of Canadian Content and the fact that they live in Vancouver [Why?! Why here?! leave us alone!!
mad.gif
]

I hear that they got thrown off the stage at a concert in Lisbon....

the lead singer...whatever his name is...he ruined Spiderman the movie with that crappy song of his at the end credits.....

my opinion of Nickelback is that of a band that requires the heavy drinking of alcohol to appreciate

Oct 24, 2003 at 9:08 AM Post #8 of 12
"haven't you heard don't hit a lady"

"kicking your @$$ would be a pleasure"

...cue wannabee-quasi-pantara riff

I liked the drumming in the remind me song, but after hearing those lyrics(don't know the name of the song) I promptly put them on the same list that I keep Creed.

Oct 25, 2003 at 3:10 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by raif
"haven't you heard don't hit a lady"

"kicking your @$$ would be a pleasure"

...cue wannabee-quasi-pantara riff

I liked the drumming in the remind me song, but after hearing those lyrics(don't know the name of the song) I promptly put them on the same list that I keep Creed.

That'd be Never Again. Yeah, I'm not too fond of those lyrics either
580smile.gif

Oct 26, 2003 at 10:49 PM Post #12 of 12
You're a hard rocker and want to listen to Nickleback? Man don't waste your money, go with Dido, if you decide that you want to buy a good mainstream rock album go with Chevelle's - Wonder Whats Next? / Audioslave - Audioslave / or Deftones - Deftones, those are all new mainstream'esque albums and they're all way better than Nickleback. To me Nickleback sounds like a ***** Nirvana thats trying to be Bush. But then again everything I've said is completley subjective, if your into the mainstream rock sound though and want to listen to something rather good I would invest $13 in one of the albums listed above. (This was an overly long and rude way of saying, " Buy Dido.")

Users who are viewing this thread

Back