Dido-Life for Rent...Quality-Check
Nov 1, 2003 at 12:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Fastjack

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, I was just checking out the above mentioned CD as an EAC-Rip, APE-compressed and heard some distortions on the right channel in the song "Mary's in India". It's very noticable at the position 1.57 when she sings "and as the sun rised" for example.

My question now is whether that's normal because of bad production or whether my system's at fault here.
foobar (kernel streaming) -> Terratec Aurean Sky -> Headsave Transit -> ER4S

I know that many CD's are badly recorded and quite often ripping and compressing add their own "effects" but I thought Dido, EAC, APE, you know...can't be that bad so maybe it's my system.

It's just bugging me
confused.gif

Nov 1, 2003 at 2:37 AM Post #2 of 5
I too have this album and I think that the production of it sucks. It has a compressed digital hash throughout the entire album. Some have reported distortion on more than one occasion in more than one discussion board. So, I think that we just got duped into buying a first rate pop album made using second rate production capabilities.

Nov 1, 2003 at 11:02 AM Post #3 of 5
I don't know, I just finished listening to it, and it sounded pretty good to me. I'll check the exact spot later, though...

Welly -- those might be the samplers you are hearing.

Nov 1, 2003 at 9:50 PM Post #4 of 5
Welly: Thanks for the info. It's relieving to know that it's most likely not my hardware. Don't know what a compressed digital has might sound like but you might be right. The song I mentioned has merely the most obvious problems. With others positions I wasn't really sure whether it sounded like it's suppoded to. There were also several other pops, crackles and noises that I put down to "bad" sound-samples being used. Probably what Dusty meant?!

Dusty: When I listend to the same position with the Porta Pros the effect was mostly gone. Don't know anything about your cans but maybe they're not as overly detailed as the Etys?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back