Did you see the movie AMÉLIE?
Mar 7, 2002 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Mumrik

500+ Head-Fier
I saw it the day before yesterday with a couple of my friends...
I was very possitively surprised.

It fun, different and very very sweet - This is one of the best films I've seen for a long time, so what if it's French...
wink.gif
I love the camerawork in this film too, and the narrative style.

Mar 7, 2002 at 12:59 AM Post #2 of 13
It's from the same director of "Delicatessen", "City of Lost Children" and "Alien 4". You'll better check'em out (you can skip Alien 4 if you want to), 'cause they are really neat movies.

Mar 7, 2002 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Onix
It's from the same director of "Delicatessen", "City of Lost Children" and "Alien 4". You'll better check'em out (you can skip Alien 4 if you want to), 'cause they are really neat movies.

I know
smily_headphones1.gif

I never did see Delicatessen, but I saw the other two.... I liked the twisted City of Lost Children, but I didn't really see why he did Alien 4... it was OK, but not really interesting.

Mar 7, 2002 at 1:28 AM Post #4 of 13
I haven't seen Amelie since I missed it when it came to our small independent film theater (incidentally, the one which was the first to screen Mrs. Robinson and which is the only theater in town). However, I have seen Delicatessen and La Cite des Enfants Perdues, both very fine films. On the stranger side of French cinema, but a lot of fun. Hopefully I'll be able to see Amelie when it comes out on DVD or VHS!

Mar 7, 2002 at 1:36 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by DanG
On the stranger side of French cinema, but a lot of fun.

That's probably why I liked it so much... It needs to be a bit special for me to go see a movie in a language I don't understand
rolleyes.gif

Not-English films are rather uncommon in American theaters, aren't they?

And Yes, I really do think you should see this movie if you get the chance.

Mar 7, 2002 at 2:40 AM Post #6 of 13
Most American theatres rarely carry subtitled films because the mass market doesn't enjoy these films as much.

However, I'm at college in a small college town where the only theater, as I said, is a non-profit independent-film theater. So occasionally it carries foreign films.

I'm from Boston, though, which is a large college town. There are two theaters there that regularly carry subtitled foreign films -- the Brattle Street Theater in Harvard Square which often shows old classics (last movie I saw there was Ran by Akira Kurosawa) and Kendall Square Cinema where I've seen a number of current German and French films (including Run, Lola, Run and another movie by that same German director, and The Dinner Game from France -- those are the three that come to mind right now).

I suppose most American cities have several of these kinds of theaters.

Mar 7, 2002 at 2:59 AM Post #8 of 13
yes indeed,HAPPY BIRTHDAY Mumrik.

Mar 7, 2002 at 4:19 AM Post #12 of 13
It's indeed a very special film.

It was first showed here in the film fest as a special feature. No doubt it's a sold out. Not too long after, it hit the big screens, with subtitles. I think reading subtitles while watching needs practice. However, the tradeoff is well deserved if that'll enable me to miss less good foreign movies.

Mar 7, 2002 at 4:30 AM Post #13 of 13
Thanks Dan
wink.gif

mkyy: I guess that's the slight downside to dealing with few other languages than your own... English is everywhere, Danish sure isn't, so we have to learn other languages and get used to subtitles
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back