Did you guys see the Oscar de la Hoya vs Mayorga fight?
May 7, 2006 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Mr Iriver

1000+ Head-Fier
Oscar de la Hoya beat the **** out of Mayorga knocking him down in the 6th (or was it 7th) round.

He humiliated Mayorga throwing far less punches, yet landing more than mayorga. I remember one of the stats showed a 4 vs 44% with Oscar in favor.

It was a great fight. As soon as oscar punched Mayorga dropping him on the floor it was obvious that Oscar was gonna win, and the likeliness of a KO win was there from the 1st round.

May 7, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #2 of 11
It was a sweet fight! Yep I agree, after the knockdown of Mayorga it was all downhill from there. Mayorga has a rabid man fighting technique, he just swung away hoping to hit DLH, DLH used his brains more.

Mr Iriver, did you hear all the crap Mayorga was saying about DLH? (you know talking about DLH's wife and crap that didn't have to do with the sport or the fight) I am glad Mayorga got knocked out, it was great. I say it was one of DLH's best fights, also one of the best pay-per-views I have paid for.
icon10.gif

May 7, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #3 of 11
I was so excited for De La Hoya. I was rooting for Oscar all the way, and was glad he showed up in peak form. I'm admittedly biased, as one of my best friends is De La Hoya's head of security (the guy on the left in this picture). (However, Oscar was one of my favorite fighters long before my friend started with him.)

May 7, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk
It was a sweet fight! Yep I agree, after the knockdown of Mayorga it was all downhill from there. Mayorga has a rabid man fighting technique, he just swung away hoping to hit DLH, DLH used his brains more.

Mr Iriver, did you hear all the crap Mayorga was saying about DLH? (you know talking about DLH's wife and crap that didn't have to do with the sport or the fight) I am glad Mayorga got knocked out, it was great. I say it was one of DLH's best fights, also one of the best pay-per-views I have paid for.
icon10.gif

I agree Mayorgas technique pretty poor. Is like he was punching like crazy to see if he can have a lucky punch.
I am also glad DLH, beat that trashtalking *******. I did hear a lot of the stuff Mayorga had said about DLH. Although some of it was funny it was very unproffesional, just like his stupid defensless fighting technique. I may sound sadistic, but at the end when DLH started punching Mayorga like crazy I was wishing he would injure mayorga badly. My friends were like "yeah.. Kill him."
Anyways I am glad the better fighter/boxer won. That was the best fight I have seen in a long time, unlike the last time when I saw the dissapointing Tito vs Wright.

May 7, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 11
I think Mayorga under estimated DLH's power. When he first got smacked down you can tell by looking at his facial expression that he didnt know where that punch came from.

BTW isnt DLH planning to fight again in September? I heard that there are rummors that he wants Floyd Mayweather Jr., but DLH's trainer Mayweather Sr. doesn't want it to happen. Do you guy know anything? That would be a mega fight!

May 7, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk
I think Mayorga under estimated DLH's power. When he first got smacked down you can tell by looking at his facial expression that he didnt know where that punch came from.

BTW isnt DLH planning to fight again in September? I heard that there are rummors that he wants Floyd Mayweather Jr., but DLH's trainer Mayweather Sr. doesn't want it to happen. Do you guy know anything? That would be a mega fight!

Thats what I heard. I don't think that is very likely though as Floyd Mayweather Jr is the son of DLH's trainer (I think). That would would be another great fight indeed.

May 7, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #7 of 11
That really was a fun fight to watch.

Thanks to the magic of Tivo..

I'm gonna go watch it again!
It serves Marorga right, after the useless trashtalking. He didn't seem to realise how strong DLH was.

Pretty amusing.

May 7, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #8 of 11
It was a great fight, esp. after watching la hoya get all pissed off about what he was saying and then just knocking him out. I didn't even think la hoya had that much in him. Man! good fight.

May 8, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

I didn't even think la hoya had that much in him

You’re not the only one. Many people I know thought the same thing, but I knew better. He has fought the top competition at every weight class he has ever fought, and ducked no one. Everyone thought his career was over, because of the only “real loss” of his entire carrier, which came from a huge 6’1” middleweight in Bernard Hopkins. And, there is no shame in that, because Hopkins clearly is one of greatest middleweights to ever live. Oscar completely outclassed Mayorga.
If Oscar comes in shape to fight Mayweather it will probably be the fight of this quarter century. If Oscar wins against Mayweather I don’t see how anyone could possibly not rank him within the top 10 to 25 greatest fighters ever depending on how you look at it.

May 8, 2006 at 2:39 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
Everyone thought his career was over, because of the only “real loss” of his entire carrier, which came from a huge 6’1” middleweight in Bernard Hopkins. And, there is no shame in that, because Hopkins clearly is one of greatest middleweights to ever live. Oscar completely outclassed Mayorga.

Are you saying he beat Trinidad and Moseley?
biggrin.gif
He did lose a second fight, though, again against a middleweight. Felix Sturm beat him easily, and Oscar received a "gift", so as not to derail his mega-fight with Hopkins.

De La Hoya has been unfairly treated in his career (not by fans, by certainly by the media). He has shown himself clearly superior to everyone below middleweight, and has gotten robbed three separate times as a result. He has also had the stigma of "running away" from Trinidad in the final three rounds of that fight, even though he pounded him for 9 rounds.

That said, I don't think this fight should change anyone's perception of him or his accomplishments. Mayorga is a glorified club fighter, whose only claim to fame has been two wins over Vernon Forrest. He hasn't beaten anyone else, and now has received beatings from both De La Hoya and Trinidad. He's a tough guy, no doubt, but he lacks any real boxing skill.

If the fight does take place, I think Oscar can beat Floyd. It's a great fight, and boxing needs a mega-fight of this caliber.

May 8, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye
Are you saying he beat Trinidad and Moseley?
biggrin.gif

In the second Moseley and the Trinidad fight, Oscar did win even though he didnt.
tongue.gif

Was it just me or are Moseley and Oscar friends now? I think he was on the ring with Oscar when he knocked out Mayorga.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back