Did you feel sad when you realized you don't need another phone?
Jun 22, 2007 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

wae5

500+ Head-Fier
For months I really wanted 325is. When I finally heard them they were lots of fun but not nearly as good as my K701s so I sent them packing. My K701s are better than my 501s and Ultrasone 2200s. I have Stax Lambda Pros and know they're very good but they're not integrated into my setup so it's a minor hassle to use them. Plus, the more I listen to the K701s I think they have more muscle and PRAT than the Pros. The K701s are growing up on my ears since they never cease sounding better. And to think I almost sent them back because they seemed too wimpy, dull and analytical! Not! As some of you know, I toyed with getting Sony SA5000s, but put this off indefinitely because they seem to have too much personality for too much money. Even tonight I almost pushed the button on Beyer DT880s, but pulled back and asked why bother? I've been hammered here so much about Senn HD600s because they're supposed to be so good for my kind of music (classical) that I had to hear them so I pushed the button and have a pair coming via slow boat (ground) because I have a hunch they won't hold a candle to my ever improving K701s. Thank God for 30 day trial periods! I know there are better phones out there- $1K phones to be exact, but I can find much better ways to spend $1K fun money than on subtly superior phones. So my K701s have put me in a buyer's funk and the only way I'm able to pull out of it is to listen to them. Thanks be to God I held on to them long enough to find out how wonderful they really are!

I'm writing this listening to music I've never heard before: the Chandos box set of the 6 Bohuslav Martinu symphonies. If you love percussion, hyperdrive and slam, these audiophile recordings are for you.

Jun 22, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #2 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you feel sad when you realized you didn't need another phone?

No, why would I not need another headphone? I do not have all the ones I want yet.

Jun 22, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #3 of 32
I love buying phones because it gives me a thrill to discover great sounding phones and I'd jump at the chance to pick up a pair that trumps my K701s and Lambda Pros for classical music for under $400. Grados in my price range don't make it, Senns I'm about to try (but I'm skeptical) and tonight I almost pounced on the Beyers. Maybe the Universe is telling me screw new phones, buy more music! because I already have phones that sound nearly as good as $2-5k audiopile speakers or at least I think they do.

Jun 22, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #4 of 32
I've been considering the 701's myself; but then again, I do truly love my Grado 225's
icon10.gif
! I've had them for a bit over a year, and I'm still enjoying them.

Jun 22, 2007 at 6:49 AM Post #5 of 32
Get the 701s but be prepared to burn them in for a long time OR take a leap of faith knowing many people here who hold them in very high regard say they continue to improve the longer you listen to them. I can almost guarantee you'll ask yourself what's all the fuss about the moment you first put them on. I did but now prefer them to my Lambda Pros which now seem somewhat detached and artificial- they just aren't as lively and engaging as my ever improving K701s. Why can't you have both? Most of us here have more than one phone. It's kind of like eating just one peanut or one potato chip- it violates HeadFi's feng shui and should never be done.

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #6 of 32
No, you're free! Just enjoy the music ...

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #8 of 32
I'm always game to try a new pair of headphones. I have ZERO brand loyalty (although that may not seem to be the case, considering my current headphone collection). Whatever sounds best to me is what stays, all other phones go. Currently my 'top dogs' are the AKG K-1000s and the top-shelf Grado phones (PS-1, RS-1, GS-1000, and MS-2i). I would drop them all without any hesitation whatsoever for another brand or model of headphones if they sounded better to me than my current favorites do.

I am always on the lookout for a pair of phones that will better my current favorites, but that hasn't happened in a long time, and it seems unlikely to happen for a long, long time into the future. But it is still fun to try out new phones 'just in case'.

We shall see.

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #9 of 32
Finding a closed headphone that I truly enjoyed that wasn't a >$300 Audio Technica was a considerably difficult task. I've tried and bought many great open cans, and I'm guessing that most would agree when I say that a really good closed can is harder to come by than a really good open can. I'm glad to be finished in that regard, as the DT831's are exactly what I was looking for. Until I start earning a real salary, which won't happen until I wrap up another 5 years of college, I'm happy where I am.

Jun 22, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #10 of 32
I'm finally starting to get an inventory and starting to realize how different cans benefit from different genres and listening types. Rock/Metal is definitely RS1's and HD650 is best for rap and movies and gaming. Although the RS1 can be used for either HD650's is preferred to my ears so far. I still want to own the GS1000's one day and a high end tube amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Wanting more phones is only natural...

Jun 22, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #11 of 32
i really want to try/own everything. what i don't like or use less often will be sold. of course there are limits to my buying power, unfortunately.

Jun 22, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #12 of 32
dude, it's a disease

I am addicted to cans / amps / cd's / sources / cables / home theater / 2-channel audio / guitars / guitar amps / Audi's

There's an empty place inside all of us that all this gear will never really fill, but we keep trying ... so enjoy the ride, but ... be careful with your wallet ... and ENJOY the MUSIC!!!

Jun 22, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #13 of 32
I am seriously addicted to buying stuff. Unfortunately, my empty wallet is the best leash at the moment

Jun 22, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by judas391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am seriously addicted to buying stuff. Unfortunately, my empty wallet is the best leash at the moment

Same. I love the "new-toy sensation"
tongue.gif

Jun 22, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnylexus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dude, it's a disease

I am addicted to cans / amps / cd's / sources / cables / home theater / 2-channel audio / guitars / guitar amps / Audi's

There's an empty place inside all of us that all this gear will never really fill, but we keep trying ... so enjoy the ride, but ... be careful with your wallet ... and ENJOY the MUSIC!!!

I totally agree with you. That empty space can only be filled with love and the sense of belonging to something far superior to what this life can offer. I mean pure love, the love of God.
But music can make us happy and joyfull so we try our best to find the purest sounding music for that purpouse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back