Did Ultrasone remodel their line?
Feb 17, 2013 at 1:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Randolph Duke

100+ Head-Fier
I was just in B&H Photo and demoed a pair of Pro 900's.
I owned a pair 2 years ago before selling for the home Theater friendly HD598
I could swear the 900's look and feel different....?
They seem a bit smaller and lighter. The color also appears lighter.

They also sounded better than I remember.
I might go back.

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 13
The outer finish has changed to a more rubberized surface, dunno bout the pads or the sound, but yes they changed to a little more decent look. They simply look better.

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #3 of 13
I also wonder if they improved the sound. I liked everything about the Pro900 (build quality, accessories, looks, comfort) but thought that the sound was terrible. They were easily the worst sounding headphone I ever owned in that price range, with even much cheaper alternatives like the ATH-M50 easily besting them in every way.

Sep 3, 2013 at 6:52 PM Post #4 of 13
  I also wonder if they improved the sound. I liked everything about the Pro900 (build quality, accessories, looks, comfort) but thought that the sound was terrible. They were easily the worst sounding headphone I ever owned in that price range, with even much cheaper alternatives like the ATH-M50 easily besting them in every way.

Plugged to an ipod? because the Pro900 are sensitive to sources, you need at least a decent dac. 

Sep 3, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #5 of 13

Plugged to an ipod? because the Pro900 are sensitive to sources, you need at least a decent dac. 

lol, technically, being a 40ohm headphone, the Pro900 should not need a dedicated headphone amplifier to sound good...
either way, I've tried them with all kinds of equipment and they always sounded terrible. the treble was so piercing, i still feel pain when i remember what they sounded like. 

Sep 3, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #6 of 13
  lol, technically, being a 40ohm headphone, the Pro900 should not need a dedicated headphone amplifier to sound good...
either way, I've tried them with all kinds of equipment and they always sounded terrible. the treble was so piercing, i still feel pain when i remember what they sounded like. 

Warm amp with a bright headphone sounds nice. 
smily_headphones1.gif

also, Ultrasones needs lots of hours to burn in properly. 

Sep 3, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #7 of 13

Impedance does not equal efficiency.  LCD is 60 ohms but has an efficiency rating 90 dB/1 mW.  Before you lol,  and quote impedance, technically it would be better if you stated efficiency figures.

Sep 3, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #8 of 13
  Impedance does not equal efficiency.  LCD is 60 ohms but has an efficiency rating 90 dB/1 mW.  Before you lol,  and quote impedance, technically it would be better if you stated efficiency figures.

Would be possible if that figure was quoted by Ultrasone anywhere in their specs for the headphone, but it is not...

Warm amp with a bright headphone sounds nice. 
smily_headphones1.gif

also, Ultrasones needs lots of hours to burn in properly. 

Sorry, the Pro900 is just too piercing for any kind of warm amp to make it sound nice. As for burn-in = sorry, it does not yield such huge improvements in sound (if any at all). If anything, I'd guess the Pro900s ridiculous treble simply makes the listener deaf to those frequencies after prolonged exposure :)

Sep 3, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #9 of 13
  Would be possible if that figure was quoted by Ultrasone anywhere in their specs for the headphone, but it is not...

Research sensitivity and SPL figures. You could start here.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/81047/impedance-sensitivity-what-spec-matters      My point is that impedance figures will not give you the whole story on the effeciency of a headphone.

Whether an inefficient headphone requires external amping beyond a modest DAP or phone, is subjective, and everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Sep 3, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #10 of 13

Sorry, the Pro900 is just too piercing for any kind of warm amp to make it sound nice. As for burn-in = sorry, it does not yield such huge improvements in sound (if any at all). If anything, I'd guess the Pro900s ridiculous treble simply makes the listener deaf to those frequencies after prolonged exposure :)

Oh i see, there's nothing i can do to change your mind 
tongue.gif
 after all.. we all have different preferences. 

Sep 3, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #11 of 13
  Research sensitivity and SPL figures. You could start here.  http://www.head-fi.org/t/81047/impedance-sensitivity-what-spec-matters      My point is that impedance figures will not give you the whole story on the effeciency of a headphone.

Whether an inefficient headphone requires external amping beyond a modest DAP or phone, is subjective, and everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Yes, as much as I applaud your call for research and using appropriate terminology, I do not personally require this lesson. The Pro900 seems not to be particularly sensitive but this just means that a 'modest' amp might not be able to make it play very loud. I personally don't care about this as I never listen to headphones very loud. Besides, listening to the Pro900 with a high volume level would most likely make me go deaf. 

Sep 4, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #12 of 13
Yes the sonical balance of the PRO 900 is not for everyone. The high notes where not my piece of cake too. But you can try the PRO 550 or the Signature DJ / PRO. All three have good overall performance without any treble problems. And the PRO 550 is the same build as the PRO 900. It only has 50 mm mylar drivers and vinyl pads. I have all three and I my self am very sensitiv to overpronounced high tones. All three can run from an Ipod, but all benefit from an amp a lot. Bass gets tighter, voices get more real and the stage gets bigger and more open. So you might want to give ULTRASONE a second chance as the SIGNATURE line is for sure an example for lessons learned for me.

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #13 of 13
Yes the sonical balance of the PRO 900 is not for everyone. The high notes where not my piece of cake too. But you can try the PRO 550 or the Signature DJ / PRO. All three have good overall performance without any treble problems. And the PRO 550 is the same build as the PRO 900. It only has 50 mm mylar drivers and vinyl pads. I have all three and I my self am very sensitiv to overpronounced high tones. All three can run from an Ipod, but all benefit from an amp a lot. Bass gets tighter, voices get more real and the stage gets bigger and more open. So you might want to give ULTRASONE a second chance as the SIGNATURE line is for sure an example for lessons learned for me.

Yes, I've heard good things about the SIGNATURE line but the price seems like overkill for me :) I'm not really in the market for a closed headphone these days anyway as I am fully satisfied with my modified Amperior :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back