Did the Mac Mini just take a huge bite out of the Wintel HTPC market?
Jan 13, 2005 at 9:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 117

bangraman

Headphoneus Supremus
Sorry if it's a repost of a similar thinking thread.

I think so. I've just ordered one in preference of the Roku Soundbridge M2000. My new LCD TV will have DVI input so that's sorted out. Add a USB sound card and I'm fixed... yes?

Jan 13, 2005 at 12:05 PM Post #2 of 117
Berhaps a small bite, but not a huge one by any stretch. There's just too much customization you can do with a PC to have it even remotely threatened by something as static as far as hardware goes as the Mini.

I dare you to find a decent USB/firewire capture card for Tivo-like functionality. And don't get me started on the lack of HD space...

Jan 13, 2005 at 12:24 PM Post #3 of 117
Card for Tivo-like functions? How about the EyeTV 500? or 200?
Add a Waveterminal U24 for sound...
Link it to the new Buffalo NAS terabyte RAID 5...

Why not?

Jan 13, 2005 at 12:39 PM Post #4 of 117
The main attraction seems to be that it's really small. It is not fast in the CPU department, which is what you're gonna need if you want that EyeTV to be remotely useful.

I don't doubt that you could get good sound out of it with a Waveterminal or even a Transit. External HDs? Sure.

But really. Why not shove it all in a pc case, then? You'd probalbly end up saving some space and gaining performance by getting a SFF PC and perhaps a couple external HDs if needed, after all's said and done.

Jan 13, 2005 at 1:01 PM Post #5 of 117
I do "just happen" to have a Dell terabyte NAS hanging around doing not much. It'll have to go in a separate room, but that's no problem.

The key is not just the hardware but also the software... something geeks don't always consider. iLife has a lot going for it, and there are tonnes of really nice shareware/commercial apps for the Mac which isn't done nearly as nicely for the PC (I checked).

Jan 13, 2005 at 1:32 PM Post #6 of 117
Sure, no denying that. I'm just playing devil's advocate and saying that the Mini probably won't be the new hot thing for HTPC machnines, especially if you're looking for PVR capabilites.

Jan 13, 2005 at 1:45 PM Post #7 of 117
It's almost perfect but I would imagine like most I need to get TV into it somehow. Maybe PVR duties could be served by usb2/firewire, but tasks like scaling an input for projection (dscaler) are not going to be possible. Also HD Mpeg 2 will be borderline and WM9 HD impossible
frown.gif

I'll probably end up with one anyway, just to damn sexy to turn down
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2005 at 3:16 PM Post #8 of 117
Jury seems out on whether its too slow--I'll let you know in a couple weeks, since I just ordered one with a waveterminal and an EyeTV 500. What I'm really curious about is whether Comcast has activated the firewire port on my CATV box and I can use this little puppy as a PVR for HD feeds. I'll soon find out whether it has the horsepower to really decode HD real time--should be a fun experiment.

In the meantime, I'm guessing it's going to work just fine as an audio server dishing up WAVs from my network storage through the waveterminal. I'm also guessing the UI and form factor are going to be a big hit with the g/f--iTunes on a 42" plasma with a wireless kbd/mouse...

Jan 13, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #9 of 117
I'm in complete agreement with Bangraman here. This is the first machine that really makes sense as an HTPC for average people.

There is no problem finding good PVR software for the Mac, nor is there any problem finding analog video -> Firewire adapters. Digital audio out is already taken care of elegantly and wirelessly by the Airport Express, or by the Transit if people are looking for a general purpose sound card.

The closest commercial PC product is probably the Hush Mini-ITX PC, which retails for $975 in its simplest configuration, with no software (not even an operating system), no video in support (not even Firewire!), and a lower quality video card.

Jan 13, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #10 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
I'm in complete agreement with Bangraman here. This is the first machine that really makes sense as an HTPC for average people.

Is one really average if they use a HTPC to begin with?
biggrin.gif
Maybe not.

Does anybody have a link to a mac HTPC site? I'd like to see what software is available.

Jan 13, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #11 of 117
whats the point of being small if it is not so portable? to me it just seems like just another overpriced mac product. OSX seems to be a love/hate thing, not necessarilly superior; for one, i found OSX riggned machines at the school libarary very awkward, and it turns out i am not the only one as windows machines are usually taken up first.

you could come up with a equally powerful (possibly better) machine for A LOT LESS. granted, if you do not live in the states this is out of your reach so YMMV on that. sometimes even cheaper if you dont mind getting second hand parts.

$30 for duron 1.6/mobo combo from outpost
~$50 for 512mb pc3200 ram (there are a few ongoing deals AR)
$50 for a case and a psu
~$40 for a used/refurb ATI r300 based card with tv/out
~$40 for a 8x ODD AR
~$40 for some qualitykeyboard/mouse
~$80 for some 160gig hdd

yet i partially agree this might result in another huge success, ala i-pod; most 'common people' arent smart enough to tell harddrive from cpu. for what they do this may suffice and they wouldnt know anything like techbargains, gottadeal or fatwallet.

most of programs i use on PC are freeware and they are great at that. hideous scarceness of games is a huge problem for an entertainment machine even for a casual gamer.

Jan 13, 2005 at 6:27 PM Post #12 of 117
I take it for what it is: a machine aimed at letting existing PC users who may not be completely happy, and who already have perhiperals such as a monitor, as such to check out what the fuss with Macs is all about without spending over a grand on an iMac or eMac.

It's size and price also lend it to other purposes. I just doubt it's got the guts to do some more intensive stuff like PVR work, which requires a beefy CPU to do the video encoding. Decoding should be no problem, except perhaps in the really hi res HDTV stuff.

Jan 13, 2005 at 7:01 PM Post #13 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Helter Skelter
...I just doubt it's got the guts to do some more intensive stuff like PVR work, which requires a beefy CPU to do the video encoding. Decoding should be no problem, except perhaps in the really hi res HDTV stuff.

If you're using something like the EyeTV, it'll have hardware-based encoding, so that really shouldn't be a problem.

As far as decoding goes, if my iBook (which is less than 25% of the overall speed) can decode MPEG-2 full-screen without too much skipping, I think the Mini will be ok.

As you noted, the small size (and the almost silent operation) does make it very attractive. In fact, it's probably a LOT quieter than my ReplayTV (had to put an additional fan in it to cool the WD hard drive I installed).

Overall, I don't know how attractive it will end up being. I've run into quite a few Windows/Linux users that have a love-hate thing with anything Apple... They love to hate anything with the Apple name on it
rolleyes.gif

Jan 13, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #14 of 117
I have no problem with the hardware other than the whole closed platform thing. On the contrary, I think it's pretty darn cool most of the time. I just don't personally care for OSX or the iPod , but that doesn't mean I think that anyone else should be forbidden from using them. In the case of the former, MS operating systems and their workings are etched into my brain. I can use OSX and linux, but not with nearly the level of efficiency as I can with Windows (which I know inside and out, just about). As for the iPod, it looks great and the interface is very nice, but it just doesn't have the format support or gapless playback that I demand from something meant to replace my PCDP.

But use what you wish, that's your decision. I'm looking forward to hearing how well the iMac Mini performs for this.

Jan 13, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #15 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer
whats the point of being small if it is not so portable? to me it just seems like just another overpriced mac product. OSX seems to be a love/hate thing, not necessarilly superior; for one, i found OSX riggned machines at the school libarary very awkward, and it turns out i am not the only one as windows machines are usually taken up first.

you could come up with a equally powerful (possibly better) machine for A LOT LESS. granted, if you do not live in the states this is out of your reach so YMMV on that. sometimes even cheaper if you dont mind getting second hand parts.

$30 for duron 1.6/mobo combo from outpost
~$50 for 512mb pc3200 ram (there are a few ongoing deals AR)
$50 for a case and a psu
~$40 for a used/refurb ATI r300 based card with tv/out
~$40 for a 8x ODD AR
~$40 for some qualitykeyboard/mouse
~$80 for some 160gig hdd

yet i partially agree this might result in another huge success, ala i-pod; most 'common people' arent smart enough to tell harddrive from cpu. for what they do this may suffice and they wouldnt know anything like techbargains, gottadeal or fatwallet.

most of programs i use on PC are freeware and they are great at that. hideous scarceness of games is a huge problem for an entertainment machine even for a casual gamer.

[size=small]Peeow![/size]

something geeks don't always consider

(the sound of that sentence going straight over someone's head
evil_smiley.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back