Did Sennheiser just reveal the Orpheus successor?
Aug 30, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #481 of 1,046
Or a Megatron (aka Nanotube) 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
  Yes, it does as long as you have the DIY T2.  
biggrin.gif

Aug 30, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #482 of 1,046
We just don know yet, lots of figures have been bandied around as Sennheiser has not stated the price, but the consensus is it will be a five figure sum

Is it really 44K US?

I'm wondering the same thing.  Because if that's true, then it doesn't matter HOW good they sound, for a pair of headphones rather than high-end speakers, that much money amounts to highway-robbery!

Yes you cheapo.

Aug 30, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #483 of 1,046
  I'm wondering the same thing.  Because if that's true, then it doesn't matter HOW good they sound, for a pair of headphones rather than high-end speakers, that much money amounts to highway-robbery!

Yep and on the reverse side for $10-20k you can have Ethan himself from realtraps come out to your house and build you an acoustically perfect room.

The only bright spot I see is maybe, just maybe birgir will build an end all headphone to go along with his end all circlotron. Probably 5 figures as the amp will be $10k but nowhere near $40k.

Aug 30, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #484 of 1,046
I'm trying to fathom the depths of the cynicism required of Sennheiser to produce this juvenile half-baked design under the banner, "Reshaping excellence". Don't judge a book by its cover, but a quick glance at the amp gives an unmistakable view into its intended market segment. Marble housing? Except for the knobs gracing the case, its industrial design is roughly patterned after pizza boxes stacked atop one another, topped once again by two shoe boxes, but never mind all that. Marble surely exudes luxury, opulence, and quality to the nouveau riche! Then there is the matter of the eight tubes, glass pistons thrusting phallically skyward, declarative of both the erectile dysfunction necessary for purchase as well as its audiophilic remedy. And let's be absolutely clear on the last point; not a single woman will pay whatever this ends up costing. Women suffer no such physical or psychological maladies that this set aims to soothe.

Aug 30, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #485 of 1,046
Wow, looks like something struck a nerve.  Why everyone is upset over a price that has not been set is beyond me.Everyone is well if it is this, then this will happen or the end of the world is neigh if the price goes over 4k, stupid to speculate and then denigrate a product that may not even be produced.  This is another go no where thread.

Aug 30, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #487 of 1,046
  It is a Technics SL-1000.

Actually it is a sp10mk3 in a Albert Porter plinth with 2 tonearms. The sl-1000 was Technics complete package and while the epa500 tonearm was awesome the plinth was junk, made out of volcanic rock that while pretty like marble a poor choice, and Albert's plinth's are the best ever made. The sl-1000 only had one tonearm as well. Even that picture is probably not $40k though.

sp10mk3 from aleado or hifido: $5k
Albert Porter plinth: $5k
2 $2.5k tonearms with  5 $1k carts: $10k
Let's be nice to E.C. and get their phono pre: $2k

Still along ways from $40k...Barely over half way there.

Aug 30, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #488 of 1,046
Marble chassis, crazy price. It underlines what I suspected, a massive hand job exercise for the suit clad boardroom folk at Senn. I am sorry, it is a joke.
Look at the crappy casework on top. The lid for the phones doesn't even fit well (gaps). It is a joke. The Batman valves, the phone 'house' sat atop the amp.
it is all very Noddy to me....

It is a mockery of the original Orpheus as regards 'apparent build standard'. We are nearly 20 years on and Senn is a massive company. This is like the first Quattro from Audi, maybe a good idea but very rough and ready and crazy money (only the rally guys could afford it).

I would forget it, don't waste your time. Enjoy the 009s and the BHSE/T2 DIY or KGSShv or Eddie Current. Real world performance.

Sorry, I love this hobby but get mad when I see stuff like this.

Aug 30, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #489 of 1,046
  Marble chassis, crazy price. It underlines what I suspected, a massive hand job exercise for the suit clad boardroom folk at Senn. I am sorry, it is a joke.
Look at the crappy casework on top. The lid for the phones doesn't even fit well (gaps). It is a joke. The Batman valves, the phone 'house' sat atop the amp.
it is all very Noddy to me....

It is a mockery of the original Orpheus as regards 'apparent build standard'. We are nearly 20 years on and Senn is a massive company. This is like the first Quattro from Audi, maybe a good idea but very rough and ready and crazy money (only the rally guys could afford it).

I would forget it, don't waste your time. Enjoy the 009s and the BHSE/T2 DIY or KGSShv or Eddie Current. Real world performance.

Sorry, I love this hobby but get mad when I see stuff like this.

"Hand job exercise?"  LOL!
rolleyes.gif

Aug 30, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #490 of 1,046
... Sorry, I love this hobby but get mad when I see stuff like this.

BS and hype are what makes the business world spin, because BS and hype work with humans. Senn can develop and market this product as 'exclusive' and charge outrageous sums for it. Will it really be significantly better than a BHSE/SR009 rig? Or a tricked out tube amp with TOTL planars / dynamic headphones? Unlikely, but that isn't what this product is about.

Look at how much interest and publicity Senn have received for this product already. That in itself is valuable to the company. The marketing folks at Senn will be getting rampantly moist on this alone.

There are enough folks on the planet willing and able to throw 40K at headphone bling. Rational? No, but that is the world we live in.

Aug 30, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #491 of 1,046
-As long as you qualify it as an opinion, I am happy. I read your initial post more like a statement of fact, which was what I took objection to - there are plenty of examples out there that counter your assessment of integrated dac/amps.

For instance, in the Benchmark DAC2 manual THD+N is quoted at -106dB when fully driven - and while it doesn't have to do nearly as much voltage amplification as the new Sennheiser amp must do, it is also built into a significantly smaller chassis with less room for EMC shielding. .

(-106dB, by the way, is at least two orders of magnitude below audibility - the Sennheiser amp could do a lot worse than that and still sound perfect.)

That being said, if I designed such a statement product, I would leave a DAC out of it - for the exact reason you bring forward; the perception (sometimes correct) that separate components are superior would probably miff some customers. Much better to design a headphone system and let the customer supply his own DAC.

Thanks for understanding. It's my opinion from experience with tons of over $20k highend gears I've purchased so far. I won't go as far as spending $10k for racks but I already spent $3k for decent custom made ones. I'm considering purchaing one or two more later.

What I meant to convey is my system is that revealing enough to spend a few grands on racks and something like additional noise from DAC module I won't use on headphone amplifier isn't something I can ignore. Even earth ground connection can greatly affect system's performance. It's quite a disappointment that Sennheiser decided to keep this lifestyle product so purists like me have to say goodbye again.

Aug 30, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #492 of 1,046
At an estimated $40 k and change, this bad boy better have the ability to produce Biblical-grade miracles before I'll ever come remotely close to considering it; and i am talking hardcore "miracles" such as the turning of water into wine, the parting of the seas, and the waking of the dead. Anything else would be just derisive.

And by "waking the dead,"  I am not referring to any phony gimmicks and tricks, such as those involving zombies, or vampires, or Frankenstein...  This bad boy better be ready to resurrect a friggin' dead man, and transport him to friggin' heaven in order to be worth all its $40 k and change.  At least that is what I think: YMMV

Aug 30, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #493 of 1,046
  At an estimated $40 k and change, this bad boy better have the ability to produce Biblical-grade miracles before I'll ever come remotely close to considering it; and i am talking hardcore "miracles" such as the turning of water into wine, the parting of the seas, and the waking of the dead. Anything else would be just derisive.

And by "waking the dead,"  I am not referring to any phony gimmicks and tricks, such as those involving zombies, or vampires, or Frankenstein...  This bad boy better be ready to resurrect a friggin' dead man, and transport him to friggin' heaven in order to be worth all its $40 k and change.  At least that is what I think: YMMV

My roommate and best friend, who is NOT an audiophile, just pointed out something to me, which is a very good point really, after I told him about how Sennheiser is coming out with this thing for such a ridiculous price.  Keep in mind that my roommate is a guy who doesn't believe in spending even as much as $100 on headphones, i.e. he is a normal consumer who is perfectly happy with 10 dollar Panasonic HJE120 in-ears from Walmart.  And yet, this is what he said:

"It doesn't seem THAT pointless, when you consider that among items marketed towards the mega-rich, there are some things which are way, WAY more expensive than those headphones but serve much less of an actual purpose.  Like, I'm pretty sure there are outfits that cost more than 50,000 dollars, but don't look any noticably better than ones that cost 1% as much.  At least those new headphones will serve a valid purpose for people who are able to appreciate such good sound-quality, rather than just being for the purposes of pretense and showing-off how rich one is, right?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back