Did my DAC go bad?
Dec 11, 2012 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kman1211

Headphoneus Supremus
I was just listening to music on my HiFiMan EF2A through USB using the Burr-Brown Japan PCM2702 chip in it when all of a sudden a loud static sound, which sounds like pink noise started and all other sounds stopped. Now it has this constant static noise that is at a noticeable volume when music starts playing, there's no static a bit after music stops playing though. Switching to my soundcard as the source there is no static and it sounds perfectly fine. Does this sound like a DAC that went bad?

Dec 11, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 5
I would say that it sounds like something fried. I would try keeping it unplugged from any power source for a few hours, and then trying it again.

Sorry man.

-Edit-
You could also try using a different USB port.

Dec 11, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
I would say that it sounds like something fried. I would try keeping it unplugged from any power source for a few hours, and then trying it again.

Sorry man.

-Edit-
You could also try using a different USB port.

Okay, thank you for the advice. I unplugged it for a while and also used a different USB port, works fine now. This DAC seems to get overloaded easily and can't seem to handle multiple things going on audio wise at a time and can lag when that happens. My soundcard is a better DAC, but I wanted the built-in DAC for when I travel and just bring my laptop.

Dec 12, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #5 of 5
If i recall its a hybird Tube op-amp dac, so maybe the op-amp fried or one of the tubes went.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back