Did I screw up the Millet MiniMax?
Apr 9, 2010 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dongringo

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

My brother and I are building our first amp, the MiniMax.

While I was at work, my brother screwed up a capacitor and one of the leads came out of it. He couldn't get the solder out of the holes so drilled through them with a small drill bit. Is this a problem if we just solder in a new capacitor and the solder fills the drilled holes?

Also, he said he accidentally drug the soldering iron across the back side of the board twice and both times it made a static sound. Could this be a problem?

I'd appreciate any advice. Sorry for my ignorance. First time here.

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #2 of 7
:facepalm:

Now that thats out of the way.

Ummmm, why drill the hole out? DONT DO IT!!!111 Too late. You may be able to salvage the connection by deliberately top and bottom soldering the board at those holes. If you tore up the pads your board will need lots of work. Bummer. For future reference when this happens you should use a solder sucker bulb or a desoldering wick. There are some other tricks that may help, but those 2 things will get you through most issues.

Regarding the second bit, with the iron... Id worry more about the first thing.

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #4 of 7
bummer...you could gently scratch away at the solder mask close to the damaged pads exposing the traces on the bottom and the polygon plane on top and solder the capacitor directly.

Apr 9, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 7
Repairable, but ouch. Looks like the pads are still somewhat intact, so if you carefully clean the solder out of the real holes with either braid or a pump, you can probably get it to work. Measure your connections after soldering the new parts in though. Also, that cap isnt strictly necessary, you could leave it out without a major problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back