did I rupture my ear drum?
Mar 8, 2009 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

no1likesme

1000+ Head-Fier
First off, I have been sick for the last few days (nothing ear related though) mostly sore throat and I haven't been able to talk above a whisper for two days now.

So, i woke up this morning with a sharp pain in my left ear, which is accompanied by EXTREMELY loud tinnitus. When I swallow I can hear a clicking noise in my left ear and When I breathe I can hear air rushing in or out of my ear. I also feel a lot of pressure in it.

My balance seems to be fine, and I am not nauseous.

I figured this would be a good place to find a quick answer on this. Should I go to a hospital, or could this be something that will go away with time. I really need to avoid unnecessary doctor visits as I do not have any insurance.

what do you think?

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 8
If I were you I would go see a doctor ASAP... sharp pain + EXTREMELY loud tinnitus is never good by themselves, let alone combined.

Mar 8, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #3 of 8
No. I used to suffer from a thing the doctor used to call "glue ear' and used to have ruptured or "burst" ear drums fairly often (as they described it) and it was frequently accompanied with the flowing of liquid wax (to the point where it would pour from the ear).
You sound like you just have pressure behind the ear - can you still pop your ears? If not, go to the doctors and describe the problem - they'll probably recommend a pill like demazin or a nasal spray like rhinocort (sp) that typically open the ears a little (and may allow you to repop the drum).
As for the air thing, you probably are hearing "air" rush through your ear when you move your neck forwards - thats just blood rushing past the ear more than likely (I have a similar problem myself). Eventually it'll match itself with your pulse (pulsatile tinnitus). The tinnitus will probably fade and you will probably notice the blood rush sound less and less, but I suggest you get it looked at and see if you can find a solution (I dont have one at the moment). Have you been sleeping with headphones or speakers on? It could be a large amount of hearing damage (hence the tinnitus - which i think you mean by the ringing kind). What pitch is the tinnitus (high or low)?
Thats enough questions for now.
You can get demazin over the counter at the chemist IIRC and it might help.
Source: personal experience + some level of graduate studies
edit: btw how is your blood pressure?
edit:: since you're not experiencing vertigo, I think you can more or less rule out an inner ear infection (for now, at least)
edit::: if you have a cold, demazin might be a good place to start (not sure on the $ it costs) as itll clear up sinuses + mucus in the nose too
wink.gif
but rhinocort (maybe non prescription too?) will probably do a better job.
edit:::: ugh sorry. Can you try checking your pulse on the side of the "air" in your ears (basically I want you to press the bottom of your palm down on that side + area of the neck - not check the pulse) and then see how it affects the "air"

Mar 8, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by m0ofassa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No. I used to suffer from a thing the doctor used to call "glue ear' and used to have ruptured or "burst" ear drums fairly often (as they described it) and it was frequently accompanied with the flowing of liquid wax (to the point where it would pour from the ear).
You sound like you just have pressure behind the ear - can you still pop your ears? If not, go to the doctors and describe the problem - they'll probably recommend a pill like demazin or a nasal spray like rhinocort (sp) that typically open the ears a little (and may allow you to repop the drum).
As for the air thing, you probably are hearing "air" rush through your ear when you move your neck forwards - thats just blood rushing past the ear more than likely (I have a similar problem myself). Eventually it'll match itself with your pulse (pulsatile tinnitus). The tinnitus will probably fade and you will probably notice the blood rush sound less and less, but I suggest you get it looked at and see if you can find a solution (I dont have one at the moment). Have you been sleeping with headphones or speakers on? It could be a large amount of hearing damage (hence the tinnitus - which i think you mean by the ringing kind). What pitch is the tinnitus (high or low)?
Thats enough questions for now.
You can get demazin over the counter at the chemist IIRC and it might help.
Source: personal experience + some level of graduate studies
edit: btw how is your blood pressure?

I don't know about my BP but as far as the air rush thing, I can't hear it if i cover my ear and breathe, It doesn't matter what position my head/neck is in. The Tinnitus is a constant high pitch ringing, and I haven't listened to any music in well over a week. I haven't noticed any extra earwax.

When I yawn and hiccup it makes an extremely loud clicking noise accompanied by extremely sharp pain (the first time I did it I almost fell down)

Mar 8, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #6 of 8
Does the air rush thing stop if you hold that side of your neck?
At this point i'd probably recomend seeing a doctor when you can because you havent been listening to music (and presumably not any audio). Have you been exposed to high SPLs?
I'm not sure a GP will be able to help you further than what I have suggested (unless you have a foreign object in your ear), but an ENT probably will. Could still be a pressure issue (which will probably feel like your ear is filled with water?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
got to love armchair doctors. ignore m0ofassa

that hurts man
frown.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
got to love armchair doctors. ignore m0ofassa

i can often diagnose myself better than my doctors

ne ti me i saw one doctor, he gave me something, went to see another few weeks later, [same practice and all that] second one said, the first one is talking rubbish
inspires you doesnt it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back