Did I ruin my AKG K701....?
Feb 2, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #31 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess 50% sounds too loud for you 'cause your'e using another amp.

I'm feeling like going in circles...
I don't know if my phones is okay. those are too expensive to me and I have no option to fix it or replace them, how should I be sure those are okay...

Hmm... I am using the same onboard Essence headphone-out for the K701 currently and yes 50% low gain is far too loud for me.

Feb 2, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #32 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
'Kay, I connected them to my regular soundcard... no difference but very low volume...

Subtle, I didn't hear it on 100% volume everytime, just sometimes for like second-3seconds for try it. most of time is 50-60% volume... it's not -that- loud. (10% volume is very very low, I can't hear almost anything and there's no details)

I'm confused. Why exactly would you even want to "try" it at 100% volume, even for just a second? Any specific reason why?

I let me ears be the judge with all equipment. If it's too loud for my ears, why would I want to play the headphones any louder than that? Were you assuming it would be a benefit somehow? Perhaps the size of the power supply has an effect on its sound output, I'm currently using a PC Power and Cooling Turbo 860 Watt, but when I plug the headphones directly in to the back of the sound card, I never take the volume knob anywhere past 20 and usually always leave it between 10-15. Anything past 20 and I would fear damaging my headphones as I can't even use them at that high a volume.

What audio player do you use to output music from on your computer? Foobar? Windows Media Player? Winamp?

Feb 2, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #33 of 60
Winamp.

I just wanted to hear if it's still clear on 100% volume.

Okay, things seems to be very weird. I tried my second phones (sen' eh150) and it's sounds with distorations too...

Feb 2, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #34 of 60
Oh...I thought your recordings were just really quiet. Yeah...that is definitely a terrible idea. Even if the phones could handle it, your STX can't put out the power to do it. Wouldn't really give you any definitive answers. =/

Feb 2, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #36 of 60
Well, until then... again, I have to be sure my phones is not ruined.

But I don't know what's the problem is.
tried my seocnd phones, it's seems to be broken too. tried it on the second soundcard (the realtek one without amp) and it's sounds broken too.

My k701 the same.

What's going on...?
My ears got broken? or the 100% volume of high gain just destroyed my second phones in just a one second? (no more, I swear... it just make no sense.)

Btw, K701 are low impedance?

Feb 2, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #37 of 60
Unless the headphones are pumping out music so loud that you physically torn or stretch the diaphragm, your headphone will be fine. If you're determined to find out, go to Best Buy or Fry's and try your headphone on a receiver.

Feb 2, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #39 of 60
Believe me you will ruin your ears before you blow out a pair of headphones, especially the K701.

WRT impedance, I think it around 50 ohms.

Feb 2, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #40 of 60
Blah, I see.
So... when it sounds a little hoarse, it should be my ears?

Well, you people saying the impdance of K701 is low, what means it's too easy to ruin them on high volume. (high gain is 30ohm~300ohm, what means that's when i'm on 50% volume im on like 150ohm...)

Also, I would like to check (not trying) what circumstances the K701 could break. I mean, professional information. any ideas how can I get any information like this?

Feb 2, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #42 of 60
I'm almost sure my phones are ruined. (read what's I write up there)
What should I do for this now?

Can my warranty fix it?

Feb 2, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #43 of 60
impedance have very little to do with blowing out your driver. Impedance have more to do with how much current/voltage your headphone needs in order to operate optimally and produce highest quality sounds.

If you're curious about how current and voltage affect your headphone, the guys in the DIY sections can give you some info.

Still, unless you blow out the driver because of really really loud volume. Your headphone should be fine.

Feb 2, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #44 of 60
Then... I really don't know what's ruined my phones...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back