Did I make the right choice?
Sep 20, 2013 at 4:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Clutchies

New Head-Fier
A while back I posted about me looking into higher quality headphones, I mostly listen to EDM, a lot of house in particular.

I ordered myself the Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 Ohm, and the FiiO E10 DAC.

I'm wondering if this is the right choice, it was very cheap and I read oh so many good things. I get the FiiO E10 on Saturday and the DT990's on Tuesday. I'm beyond excited, just curios if this was the best possible choice of my dollar for the genre of music I love to listen to.

Sep 20, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #2 of 13
House doesn't need a lot of brain-shaking bass to be enjoyed unlike other EDM genres. 
Should be fine. 
Plus the bass boost in the E10 should sort it out if you DO want rumbly bass.

If you like what you hear, you're pretty much sorted out for rest of your life..... nah just kidding, this is headfi, who am I kidding?! 
atsmile.gif

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #3 of 13
  House doesn't need a lot of brain-shaking bass to be enjoyed unlike other EDM genres. 
Should be fine. 
Plus the bass boost in the E10 should sort it out if you DO want rumbly bass.

If you like what you hear, you're pretty much sorted out for rest of your life..... nah just kidding, this is headfi, who am I kidding?! 
atsmile.gif

Yeap welcome to head fi sorry about your wallet [it will hit u soon enough]

and I love my Dt 990 for all kinds of EDM, and ofc the bass boost will give you more than enough bass

And honestly... to upgrade from the Dt 990... you'll have to spend around $300 xD [more than twice what the DT 990 sells for] so trust me it's an awesome cane and well performs again'st a LOT of other headphones 

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #4 of 13
IMO, the 880s may be more to your liking as I find their sizzle up high to better suit synthesized treble.

That being said, I'm sure you'll quite enjoy the 990s! They do need a good deal of time to break-in though... I would run them in for at least 24hrs, but that's just me. 

Best of luck and welcome to the Lunatic Fringe! 
dt880smile.png

NK 

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #6 of 13
  Haven't heard the 990 personally but the Fiio house sound is warm and should be well suited to the somewhat bright treble of Beyers like the 880.

indeed, I loved my E11 with my 990 allllll dat bass 

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #8 of 13

Then you should try a pair of 770s... 
evil_smiley.gif

NK  

OH YEA but wait they are CLOSED -.- I do not like closed headphones and HONESTLY... I tried the E11 Dt 990 combo again before I sold me E11 and it was TO MUCH BASS... that said I'm upgrading from dt 990 to HE 400 

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #9 of 13

OH YEA but wait they are CLOSED -.- I do not like closed headphones and HONESTLY... I tried the E11 Dt 990 combo again before I sold me E11 and it was TO MUCH BASS... that said I'm upgrading from dt 990 to HE 400 

That should be fun! (I may PM you about your 990s...)

NK

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #10 of 13

That should be fun! (I may PM you about your 990s...)

NK

Indeed, I may sell them... as HONESTLY out of my Audio GD the Dt 880 SHOULD have better instrument seperation an layering meaning they can take over as my Classical can not to mention running a balanced dt 880 should at LEAST have the sound stage of a 990 

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #11 of 13

Indeed, I may sell them... as HONESTLY out of my Audio GD the Dt 880 SHOULD have better instrument seperation an layering meaning they can take over as my Classical can not to mention running a balanced dt 880 should at LEAST have the sound stage of a 990 

Agreed, the 880 600s should do it. I have some doubts about detail layering in the 250s, though... 

NK

Sep 21, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #12 of 13

Agreed, the 880 600s should do it. I have some doubts about detail layering in the 250s, though... 

NK

trust me the 990 250 Pro is an INSANE can, it's technically more open than the Preium 250 and 600 ohm variants, but a fully balanced preuim 600 hm 880 running out of the Audio GD of all things better at least get better

and for the records... I just installed a power conditioner into my system... a Furman... and I could hear better channel seperation immediatly. It was kinda weird honestly, I was listening to my 7 testing songs and I got to [thank gawd] Goat Rodeo's "Where's my Bow" and I was like hey... something is different... and it HIT me the bass was coming mostly from the right driver :O before it sounded kinda... muddled in the middle but again after the power condition [which btw my pc and Amp are plugged into] channel seperation and bass got tigher :D Tried it on a few different cans and same results

so YEA getting excited :D 

Sep 21, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #13 of 13
No. Just cry and everything will be ok.
Just kidding. Yes, I'm sure that this pair is awesome for this price. I've heard it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back