Apr 5, 2004 at 3:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

tjmaxwell

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

First, a little background. I'm looking for:
  1. Closed Headphones
  2. Very Comfortable Headphones that surround your ears but DON'T touch them
  3. Headphones that cost $200 or less
  4. Headphones that can be used from my laptop's headphone jack (no amp)
  5. Detailed headphones that sound good with a mainly classical/piano library

I've already tried:
  1. Bose Triport Headphones - Sold because I wanted the QC2s instead
  2. Bose QuietComfort2s - Sold because I came to Head-Fi ('nuff said)
  3. Audio Technica ATH-A900 - Sold because they were too bulky for transport and "crunched" my ears
  4. Shure E3Cs - Sold because I could never maintain a good seal

That brings me to today. On someone's advice here, I ventured to my local Guitar Center store to try out some Beyer 770s (80 ohm version). Unfortunately, they were out of them. I listened to a few other headphones they had (Senn 280s, Sony V500s and Sony V900s). When all was said and done, the man convinced me that the Sony MDR-V900s were probably the best sounding closed headphones they carried. They were fairly comfortable to me, though still not perfect. I have ears that stick out a bit, and they still make slight contact with the speakers. Of the headphones I tried, I thought these did indeed sound the best, though the Senns were much more comfortable. So, I walked out with a pair of Sony MDR-V900s for $149.

I got them home and have been listening to them on a portable CD player as well as my computer. So far, I'm impressed with the bass, but as indicated, bass isn't a major issue to me since I enjoy mainly classical/piano. I think the headphones sound pretty good for pop/rock. My concern, however, is my piano music, which at times seems shrill -- especially on really high and loud notes. It seems to hurt my ears a little. I'm not sure if this is just my imagination though.

After bringing them home, I came to Head-Fi and have found surprisingly very little reaction to these headphones. I see a lot of negative comments about the V500s, but there really isn't much said about the V900s. Did I make the right choice for my listening habits here? Would I be better off with the Senns? Or perhaps should I try the D770s at a different store? Or order the Beyer D250-80s without trying them first? Comfort is paramount since these will be worn at work for hours at a time. Can anyone recommend anything else that meets all my requirements? Thanks.

Apr 5, 2004 at 3:27 AM Post #2 of 13
the v900s were my first "expensive" headphone, and as such i might be a bit nostalgic when i say that i don't think they were that bad to live up to the "v-crap" name. i found them to be fairly dark, although that could just be in comparison to the other phones i've owned, all which are generally considered on the bright side of things. unfortunately too much time has passed for me to be any more specific than that, but i will say that i qualitatively like my current 7506s better than i did the v900s, though this could be because in general i like bright phones better.

i know that usc goose was a proponent of the v900s at one point and may still have them, so hopefully he'll chime in.

Apr 5, 2004 at 4:24 AM Post #3 of 13
Around Head-Fi, your purchase will no doubt be heavily criticized, especially considering you turned down an A900 (very highly regarded around here, especially as of late).

That being said, you shouldn't need external sources to tell you what is "good." If it meets your criteria (i.e. is comfortable, sounds good), then go for it. Use Head-fi as a resource for guidance when considering future purchases, not justification for something you enjoy.

Apr 5, 2004 at 6:41 AM Post #4 of 13
If you like the V900's, keep them. I've never heard them so I can't judge. But if you end up wanting something else, maybe you should seek out a pair of Beyer 531's on eBay.

Apr 5, 2004 at 6:47 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by oneeyedhobbit
Use Head-fi as a resource for guidance when considering future purchases, not justification for something you enjoy.

LOL, that should be in the FAQ.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Apr 5, 2004 at 1:00 PM Post #7 of 13
You made a right choice if you are happy with your sound. Don't let others to convey you what to think about your purchase.

Personally, I liked V900 much more than V600/V700DJ.

Apr 5, 2004 at 1:08 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by the terabyte

i know that usc goose was a proponent of the v900s at one point and may still have them, so hopefully he'll chime in.

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=33831

yep, i still got em. haven't used them for a while though. but i'm still a fan.

tjmaxwell, it sound like they fit what you need. i think they're the most comfortable headphones i own actually. i never found them shrill. maybe burn in will help? i got mine used so i really don't know.

Apr 5, 2004 at 1:31 PM Post #9 of 13
Paging Eagle_Driver to a V-Crap thread...
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

tjmaxwell said...

When all was said and done, the man convinced me that the Sony MDR-V900s were probably the best sounding closed headphones they carried.

In all seriousness, this statement doesn't sound good. "The man" isn't going to be listening to these things, you are. I've heard them before, didn't sound all that bad, but the price does not make them a great value, IMHO. If these truly sounded acceptable, then your choice was fine. Be on the lookout for the Beyers (either 770 or 250), though.

Apr 5, 2004 at 1:54 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
Paging Eagle_Driver to a V-Crap thread...
evil_smiley.gif

Yes, 'V-crap' headphones are everywhere...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

In all seriousness, this statement doesn't sound good. "The man" isn't going to be listening to these things, you are. I've heard them before, didn't sound all that bad, but the price does not make them a great value, IMHO. If these truly sounded acceptable, then your choice was fine. Be on the lookout for the Beyers (either 770 or 250), though.

I agree with this statement. However, you may want to scratch the 770 from your list; either version really needs an amp just to even get 'loud enough'. And that's not to mention that the 770's bass can get really muddy when used without an amp. The V900 is very easily driven to loud levels - but then its sound is pretty mediocre even on good equipment with an amp.

Apr 5, 2004 at 3:27 PM Post #11 of 13
Thanks to everyone for their advice. I never realized how difficult it would be to find a good pair of headphones. You probably all think that I'm just being picky, and if I don't like the AT A900s, I won't like anything. I'm actually not really all that picky with the sound, but I am picky with comfort. My ears must be oddly-shaped or something, but it just really bugs me when they're crushed against the speakers.

I'll probably still try the Beyer 770s as, based on pictures, they look like just what I'm looking for comfort-wise. The D250-80s look good too, though the cups don't look very recessed (perhaps owners can comment on this for me). Plus, there's no place I can try these here locally. Are there any other potential candidates out there for me? I'd just like to try to cover all the bases before I "settle" for anything.

Apr 6, 2004 at 3:42 PM Post #12 of 13
I'd hold out for the Beyer dt770's, they are very comfortable, and I didn't find any of the sound problems that the other have noted. See if you can buy them at a place that has a return policy. If you live in the Los Angeles area you can try them at "Coast Recording Supply" they have a pair on display (250 ohm version, I think), but at least you can get an idea of the comfort. They quoted me a good price too, $165.00. . . . . If you like them perhaps they can order the 80 ohm versions for you.

- augustwest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back