Did I make a good choice with the Super Fi 5 Pro?
Nov 28, 2007 at 1:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Iamgag7

New Head-Fier
I am sure they are great, but I am waiting for them to arrive, and was thinkin, did i make the right choice?

I make music on my computer for fun, and I currently use some DJ type headphones from Sony MDR V700. I find them to color the sound of the music i make way too much (esp the bass-they boosted it too much) and I was looking for something more...balanced so that when I played the music I make on speakers with a sub, the bass isn't flat like how it is when making music with the bassey sony headphones..

so i bought super fi 5 pros for 130 bucks. I am no audiophile, but i just want my music to be universal when played on sources outside of my headphones.

so, would you say that the super fi 5 pros would give me a decent accurate sound of in reguards to lows, mids, highs, when making music? or will they drastically color the sound?

please feel free to be honest, i can always return them when i get them... but keep in mind, im no expert at audio.... i just want balanced sound.

thank you!
smily_headphones1.gif

p.s. i make hip hop music and trance/dance music mostly.

Nov 28, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #2 of 14
I just bought a pair of Super.Fi 5 Pros. I have had them for 6 days now. I really like the sound. They aren't bass shy earphones but i don't think they overly bass heavy either. I find that with most of my music they are mostly balanced maybe slightly rolled off in the highs. the mids might be slightly laid back and the bass is there but not over powering. I find them to sound similar to when i am listening to my speakers at home. Not sure if this is helpful or not. This is just my opinion.

Nov 28, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #3 of 14
well I am an owner of superfi 5 pro's and find them to be a pretty "fun" headphone. I think that if you're looking to produce music, than perhaps the er4p's would suit you better. They are pretty accurate and analytical, moreso than the sf5p. Thats If you go the iem rout. You could pick up a pair of sony mdr-v6, which is a pretty affordable headphone that could be used for music production.

Nov 28, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #5 of 14
Yeh dude, the UEs have a smiley face EQ (i.e. emphasized bass and treble), the mids are actually kinda recessed. They have a very enjoyable but coloured sound. That said however, I think you would find them much better than the V700.

Also if I'm not wrong, most so called "DJ" headphones or monintors have bloated bass/heavy bass, this is so you can monintor the lower end of your music easily. I suggest you try the Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs which supposedly has a completly flat response.

Good luck.
P.S. Welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet! [always wanted to do that]

Nov 28, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #6 of 14
thanks for the replies...

would you recommend IEM for what I want to do, or would the over the ear headphones like Sony MDR 7506 be better suited for what i want to do?

thank you..

Nov 28, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iamgag7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so i bought super fi 5 pros for 130 bucks.
p.s. i make hip hop music and trance/dance music mostly.

Just be happy you got in on that $130 deal. I would have gotten it, but I already own 2 pairs of Super.Fi 5 Pro, both bought at higher prices. I also have owned Ety ER4P (also 4S with imp converter), and a bunch of pretty good full-sized headphones.

I just don't agree when some say things like Ety's are more "neutral" and so on. to these ears, SF5's are way more neutral to what music sounds in real life. Ety's have a huge peak in the low-treble/upper-mids that can make some recordings sound incredibly detailed and midrange-forward yet most recordings just plain irritating, such as hip hop/trance/dance music.

And the bass? Just forgetaboutit. There is NO comparison with 'phones like Ety's; SF5's simply have much more impact, definition, quantity, as well as quality down low.

Nov 28, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #8 of 14
Headphones are the best bet, even though IEMs can give alot of detail, you are limited by the minute soundstage, headphones (most of the time) can give you the same amount of detail, with larger soundstage (among other things).

Seriouly look into the Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs, I've heard that they are really good for what you want to do.

Nov 28, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #9 of 14
ok thanks guys. I am really impressed with this community, I have been looking for something like this for a long time!

so, I canceled my order. I will take a further look into things. 130 bucks for a college student is a lot especially if the product won't do what i am hoping for for my uses..

do you suggest i make a new topic asking about what are good headphones to use for music production? i don't want to be redundant or anything..

Oh, THAT DUDE, thanks for the suggestion... they are really affordable! 70 bucks! Well, they have GREAT reviews..all 5 on amazon.com, BUT these are the "extended response" version...i assume these are just as good or better than the ones you mentioned?

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Audio Technica ATHM40FS Precision Extended Response Monitor Headphones

what do you think? That or the MDR V6 or MDR MDR7506

Nov 28, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by That dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphones are the best bet, even though IEMs can give alot of detail, you are limited by the minute soundstage, headphones (most of the time) can give you the same amount of detail, with larger soundstage (among other things).

Seriouly look into the Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs, I've heard that they are really good for what you want to do.

FWIW, I find the Super.Fi 5 Pros to be farily decent in terms of soundstage. They don't seem to be that much worse than my Grado SR325i's. But once again that is my opinion. Also it is worth noting i found the soundstage opened up quite a bit when i used them with my Antique Sound Lab MG-Head OTL tube amp.

Nov 28, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #13 of 14
Blah, the recessed mids ruined everything imo. The vocals felt like they were singing behind a stage curtain, and everything just felt out of tune.

Nov 28, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #14 of 14
I have a pair of super fi 5 pro, even when they are driven by a iAudio D2 which is no slouch in the power department a good portable headphone amp like the Corda Headsix seemed to transform them, the whole soundstage opened up and the bass really began to shine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back