Did I make a big blunder in joining?
Dec 3, 2004 at 3:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

hydef

New Head-Fier
Here I am thinking I want to be in on a modern group of music loving thru Headphones yet many of you are talking about ancient equipment. I used phonographs growing up in my pre (age 10) & post teenage years in the 1957-1966 (age 19) early 46 years ago. I have rock n roll thru the best movie soundtracks in the world for the 1950s but listened to on the highest fidelity in the world. One of the most intersting was to hear Bernard Herrman's score of "The Day The Earth Stood Still(1951) in Dolby Surround.

Tell me Head Fi is about ancient equipment and I will be gone in a New York City minute.
confused.gif

Dec 3, 2004 at 4:30 PM Post #3 of 31
I am not sure where you would get that the head-fi is about "ancient equipment? I would say the minority of active members are into vinyl, if that is what you are referring to in your post. I haven't taken a poll but I have read enough in the last year to feel comfortable in my estimation. I think the vast majority of the members are using cdp's and computer based gear which I wouldn't consider ancient. Even the tt people use are not ancient by any stretch of the imagination. I guess I just don't understand what you are getting at.

Dec 3, 2004 at 4:56 PM Post #4 of 31
I will just say this, new doesn't always mean best.

As for Turntables sounding so so.
I have only yesterday heard what I would call the first true TT setup and I am still rmembering that sound.
I now know what people mean about TT's ounding rich.
There is definitely a place for them here.

I must thank Ray Samuels for pointing out Lyra to me who make nice cartridges. The dealer happened to have a couple sitting as demos and I convinced him to put it in.
The cartridge was more expensive than the TT bTW
The recording was Bee-Gees Stayin alive. ( Saturday Night Fever)
Boy did I feel like getting up and swinging again. Very nice indeed.
Some of the stuff bought by head-fiers is absolutely world Class
Just take a look at Ray Samuels Products, you will know what I mean
I will go back to the IHP-140/SR-71 now.

Dec 3, 2004 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 31
well it might be a short welcome but welcome to head-fi and sorry about your wallet! if you don't want to hear about vinyl, you dont need to hang in the dedicated source forum, where that subject will pop up. instead you can stay in the modern mix by going to the computers-as-source forum, or the portable source forum where alot of folks talk about hard drive and flash sources, etc.

lurk a bit more and see how comprehensive the site is. there are some folk that like music and sources from even before your time, but there are some folk here that will technobabble your head clear off your neck as well.

Dec 3, 2004 at 5:34 PM Post #6 of 31
The earliest piece of music I altered was "Midnight, the Stars, and You" featuring Al Bowley as the singer to the Ray Noble Bands one line song with no repeats. Recorded on February 16, 1934, the song used in "The Shining" to show off a 4th of July party held at the overlook in 1925 with Johnny the caretaker predominantly centered in the picture. I alter sound and can alter to any degree any form of muisc to please my ears alone. I will however take your suggestion as I move on not stay stagnant to the period music or on the equipment it was first used on, for example 1962
Big hit "The Monster Mash" I have on CD, first heard on Radio then 45 R.P.M then 33 R. P. M. LP now Compact Disc on brain alrering equipment.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2004 at 6:08 PM Post #8 of 31
personally i'm still figuring out whether its worth the cost to be able to finally listen to these "Norman Granz: The Jazz Scene" discs on some old antiquated source, or some new fangled device that can read old lacquer platters. yes, they've been remastered and burned on CD, but i just don't want my first listen to be that, hmm, sterile.

so in some respects i'm a bit of a throwback too, in terms of love for music. and yep there are those who have even more, ahem, "vintage" tastes than me in terms of source material (not talking classical music, i mean the media upon which the music was recorded). but just last week i took the plunge on an EMU 0404 soundcard, and having fun figuring out all the fiddlings to get some great tunes out of it. after all my favorite overall era in popular music was the 80's, so there's alot of untapped potential in digital land for me...now if i could only get used to hearing the pops and scuffs of vinyl coming out of my higher-tech rig when i'm listening to my CD set of Django!

Dec 4, 2004 at 2:52 AM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
now if i could only get used to hearing the pops and scuffs of vinyl coming out of my higher-tech rig when i'm listening to my CD set of Django!

CEDAR -- Bad
John R.T. Davies -- Good

Dec 4, 2004 at 3:20 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Tell me Head Fi is about ancient equipment and I will be gone in a New York City minute.

man if you only knew how funny that strikes me
icon10.gif

you will find members here who go from zero knowledge,zip,nada,all the way up to cutting edge audio experts

BTW-what do you consider modern ? What is ancient ? do you know of a way to recreate music we are missing ?
And no,we do not yet know how to "project" music just by thinking of it but beleive me,we ARE working on it !

Dec 4, 2004 at 3:45 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver
Don’t tell him about the resurgence of Vacuum Tube Audio Gear.

Hey remember “New Coke”? New isn’t always better.

Mitch

new coke=ewwwwwww

Dec 4, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Don’t tell him about the resurgence of Vacuum Tube Audio Gear.

actually, ancient technolgy mated with modern techniques is where the real action is in amp design.What i personally consider cutting edge and modern.Not anything new really but a refinement.

Dec 4, 2004 at 4:01 AM Post #15 of 31
I'm not really sure what you're getting at, hydef. I may be one of those people that Rick refers to with zero knowledge, but you come across as slightly arrogant. Forgive me if that wasn't your intention but that's the feeling I get. Hey, it's all good to me. I'm just here to have fun and gather knowledge and I hope to gather some from you. So stick around, I think you'll find it worthwhile.

You want to know what's new? Check out the "Computer as a Source" forum or some of the projects being discussed in the "DIY" forum. Even the portable section talks about the latest in audio compression.

If you're referring to the fact that some of the more experienced members seem to talk about turntables and tube gear, maybe there's a reason for it, and I can assure it's not because they're stuck in the past. How many truly new ideas do you think there are anyway?

New Coke wasn't new. It was just soda.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back