Did I listen to legit Amperior?
Mar 4, 2014 at 10:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

helmutssss

New Head-Fier
Hello peeps.

I read a lot of positive reviews about Sennheiser Amperior on this site. So I decided to go to a store and listen to them. I was shocked when I heard them. Highs were harsh, mids sounded worse than my old Beats Mixr. Bass was very weak yet bad quality.

Sorry If I didn't explain the sound very well. I don't consider myself an audiophile. I just want to get a good pair of cans.

Anyway... The sound I heard from the Amperior was way different than most of you guys say here on the forums. The sound was pretty bad in my opinion. 

I thought maybe the headphones need some time to burn in in order to sound good. Or maybe the store had fakes (even though the box seemed authentic). Or maybe it was a defected model.

I was considering to buy the Amperior but now it just seems like it's not worth it. 

What do you guys think, did I listen to the legit Amperior?

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #3 of 15
There's no way the Amperior sound worse than a Beats Mixr. They are literally better in every aspect, from bass to mids to highs. Timbre, instrument separation, speed, clarity, dynamics all superior. You likely listened to a defective pair.
Ignore TMRaven, he's never compared the two, and owns an AD700, besides.

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #4 of 15
  There's no way the Amperior sound worse than a Beats Mixr. They are literally better in every aspect, from bass to mids to highs. Timbre, instrument separation, speed, clarity, dynamics all superior. You likely listened to a defective pair.
Ignore TMRaven, he's never compared the two, and owns an AD700, besides.

Thanks man.

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 15
How were you listening to them in the store? I've heard so many in-store demo stations where something was just way screwed up in the electronics that made everything sound terrible. The M100's off the demo unit at Brookstone were okay, but it wasn't until I actually bought them that I understood the hype. 

It's one reason I don't trust the Beats hate from most people. I assume they're referring to Best Buy demo stations instead of owning a pair themselves. 

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #7 of 15
Yep, I have seen and listened to a wrong set up Sennheiser demo station. Everything sounded like a garbled up mess full of static and disturbances. Not sure who designed these but surely they don't help to sell headphones.

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #9 of 15
  How were you listening to them in the store? I've heard so many in-store demo stations where something was just way screwed up in the electronics that made everything sound terrible. The M100's off the demo unit at Brookstone were okay, but it wasn't until I actually bought them that I understood the hype. 

It's one reason I don't trust the Beats hate from most people. I assume they're referring to Best Buy demo stations instead of owning a pair themselves. 

It wasn't a demo model. I saw shopman unboxing a brand new box with the Amperior.

Mar 5, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #10 of 15
  It wasn't a demo model. I saw shopman unboxing a brand new box with the Amperior.

Maybe you're just not a fan of the sound? I don't think that they could sound worse than the Beats, but I don't think that they're that great either. I think that they might be a bit over-rated.

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #13 of 15
Yea I highly doubt it was a faked model or that it was a defective unit.  It could be the setup, but at the same time it could be that you just don't like the way it sounds.  Everybody has extremely different preferences in sound.  I've even had a friend demo an HD800 hooked up to some high-end tube amp and prefer a Beats Pro on the same setup.

Mar 5, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #14 of 15
Because I used to own Beats?

I also owned Beats some while ago. Take everything on here with a grain of salt my friend. Sound is simply a matter of perception. If you like the way that Beats sound, then maybe they are for you, maybe they suit the genre of music you listen too.
To be honest, Beats sound OK. Value for money wise they are just not good, but their sound is 'passable'.

Apr 27, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #15 of 15
 Highs were harsh, mids sounded worse than my old Beats Mixr.

I agree. While general tonality seems very nice, vocals can be sibilant.

Bass was very weak yet bad quality

Disagree. It is not a sub-bass champion but it is impossibly punchy and present in mid-upper bass. It is not bloomy but tight, punchy.

I sold it anyway to free up cash for other headphone purchases, but it is still a good headphone for portable use imo.

I doubt there are any Amperior fakes, there are however Momentum fakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back