Did I just buy a vinyl needle drop from an online music store?
Nov 16, 2005 at 9:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Publius

500+ Head-Fier
Bleep.com has been the giver of much good stuff recently. First they released Hangable Auto Bulb last week. I bought the FLAC version, it rocks, you should get it. Today I logged in to see if there was anything new I was interested in. To my utter shock and glee, the featured album was none other than "Sounds Of The Machines Our Parents Used", by Gescom - not available on CD, and the vinyl version of which commonly exceeds $100 on eBay IIRC. Again, this is an album you should get.

Obviously I downloaded the FLAC version immediately. However, there very clearly seems to be noise and clicks on the lossless files that, to any sort of ear, sounds a lot like vinyl surface noise. It sticks out like a sore thumb Puzl in various places, and Go Sumo is even worse. Go Sheep, though, is clean as a whistle.

The first rational explanation I can think of for this is that Clear (or Warp) lost the master tapes for the first two tracks, so they had to recover them through a needle drop, while the masters for Go Sheep were still available. Alternatively, the artists decided that surface noise sounded best added artificially on the first two tracks but not on the third. Both ideas seem rather contrived. Does anybody else have any idea how this could happen?

Nov 16, 2005 at 2:20 PM Post #2 of 2
My table when I first got it was badly aligned and sounded horrible at the beginning of a record and as it got inward sounded better. Also the outer part of a record is usually dirtier. Also if the record were warped it would cause more problems on the outer edges. Also.....

Yeah if it's a vinyl rip there are a lot of possibilities.

I just listened to the sample on their website. It's all clicks anyway
icon10.gif
. No but seriously I couldn't hear anything on the sample.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back