Did I just buy a prototype Fostex HP-V1?
Aug 1, 2016 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

DJ The Rocket

500+ Head-Fier
I picked up a Fostex HP-V1 from craigslist last night, and today I downloaded the manual. I noticed my unit doesn't match the picture in the manual, so I did some googling, and the only matches are pre-production prototypes.

My HP-V1:

Close up of the front panel

Rear panel

Pictures of the production model (front/rear)

In case you can't see the pictures, the differences are:

-Slightly shorter case
-no HP-V1 logo on the front or top
-1/4" headphone output in the front
-Different volume knob
-No serial number on the back panel

Despite a couple of concerns, I'm inclined to be happy about this, since the only functional difference I can see is the 1/4" jack instead of the 1/8", which is hugely preferable to me (I seriously doubt I'm alone in this preference!). That, and whatever Fostex is using the slightly increased interior volume for.

I don't know what this amp is "supposed" to sound like, but I'll put it this way: I used to think my Fiio e11 sounded good! This is my first tube amp, and I love it far more than I expected to. Based on the sound quality, I'm comfortable ruling out the possibility of a counterfeit.

Still, I'd like to know exactly what I have. Shockingly, the sellers have stopped responding to my texts once I asked them about that, even though I assured them I wouldn't ask them to give me my money back (as if that would even work). Is this a prototype? If so, are there any significant internal differences between it and the production model? There's got to be something to the taller case, I'm sure they didn't make it bigger just for the looks. And is this something I can safely contact Fostex about? (The reason I'm concerned is language in the manual such as" If any cables are supplied with this product, they MUST be used... Failure to do so could void your FCC / ICES-003 authorization to use this product." I might not be authorized to use something that I own??? WTH is that about?)

Why would someone have a prototype, anyway? Unless I'm missing something, I'm not inclined to be concerned about someone selling a review model or something, since that's their ethical failure, not mine. I'd like to believe that essentially, I just got one of the older units, and the only component likely to fail is the vacuum tube. Am I going about this right? Thoughts and advice appreciated!

Aug 1, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 3
Heh. Also a bizarre specimen in general to find in a place like CL. My local's only have Beats and iPod shuffles... (CL=YMMV) I'd try to drum up some interest with fostex itself if you're looking for an outcome in particular. Otherwise, enjoy it! Should be at the very least a unique listen.
-Jay

Aug 1, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for your reply! I'm not looking for anything in particular to happen, just pursuing knowledge at this point, since it seems I didn't get precisely what I thought, but yes, I'm happy nonetheless. The enjoymen goes without saying :blush:

This is like my Grado experience all over again: picking up expensive equipment on a whim that analytically I should expect to hate, then inexplicably (and immediately) falling in love with the sound. I wonder how many others love their Grados for listening to EDM/hip hop/electronica? I'll take my sr225e's over a V-moda, Denon, Momentum, etc that most people seem to prefer for EDM. i feel like I ought to be philosophically opposed to tube amps designed with goals other than flawless, uncolored reproduction. Here in real life, however, it turns out everything is way more complex.

To be fair, I don't think I've heard an SS amp of comparable quality recently enough to matter, so it's still too early to go register myself as a Tube Man for Life. I feel like I've hardly traversed 1% of Audiophiladelphia so far =P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back