Did I just buy a knockoff?!?! Please help!
Oct 24, 2009 at 5:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ChristopherG

New Head-Fier
Okay, so I bought a pair of Monster Beats in ear headphones from Best Buy a couple weeks ago. And I really like them! Although after I bought them, I didn't quite think it was worth the $150 that I spent. So my plan was to return the buds I got from Best Buy and get some cheaper Monster Beats off of the internet. I ended up finding a great deal on eBay for $90, so I bought them, and I just got them in the mail today. Right when I put them on, I noticed that the sound was NOT the same as the ones I got from Best Buy. It still has a good sound, but the high's just aren't there like they are with my older pair. I figured this COULD be because of the burn in factor... Maybe it needs time, and maybe it will work it's way there. But I also noticed that there were some very slight differences in their actual build as well... As you can see in the picture. The one on the left is the one I bought from Best Buy. The new ones don't fit QUITE as well in my ears as my older pair too. The thing I'm having a hard time with, is that I looked up the seller feedback on the guy I bought from, and it was all very positive, so I don't think he cheated me, but maybe this is just an older model?? What do you guys think...

Oct 24, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #4 of 16
Thats why I dont trust ebay. Never used it and probably wont use it in the future. I just buy from reputable dealers from amazon. I can't believe that theres now fake monster beats IEMs. I don't like monster cables, no matter how good their HPs and IEMs are. They are a decietful company. I can't believe they made a quote and said it was by engadget on their beats by dr. dre cans.

Oct 24, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #5 of 16
Monster wouldn't have redesigned those phones so quickly. I would encourage you to return those. Any indication of where the seller procured them?

As for Monster Cable's business practices, I find that they are no different then any other corporation. Yes, they aggressively protect their branding (perhaps to an unrealistic degree) but no more so then Apple or Burger King. Also, to Monster's credit, the aforementioned Engadget quote was promptly removed after issue was raised.

Oct 24, 2009 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 16
Return em if you question it.

And I recommend you read up on Monster's lawsuit threats they've made....they are ridiculous. Nothing like Apple or BK. They tried suing Bluejeanscable because....they made a cable. Pretty sure they threatened a lawsuit to a Go-Kart establishment for using the name "Monster"

Oct 24, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by cujobob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Return em if you question it.

And I recommend you read up on Monster's lawsuit threats they've made....they are ridiculous. Nothing like Apple or BK. They tried suing Bluejeanscable because....they made a cable. Pretty sure they threatened a lawsuit to a Go-Kart establishment for using the name "Monster"

Monster Cable has a history of frivolous lawsuits, certainly. However, I believe you'll find that most corporations do. That's what happens when you have bloated profit margins, in my experience. Joel has nothing else better to do apparently, then intimidate smaller companies into settling on unfair terms. Ever think it odd that Monster Cable hasn't sued Coke? Small wonder, as their legal team would turn such a farce into a media relations nightmare for Monster Cable. As for Blue Jeans Cables, I don't believe they were threatened because they "made a cable". Blue Jeans' Tartan cables allegedly were in violation of several of Monsters' copyrights. As for the "Go-Kart" establishment, I think you're referring to a "Monster Mini Golf".

Oct 24, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #10 of 16
The difference sure looks suspicious. So quite likely you did!
frown.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #12 of 16
i looked at the photo before reading the post - and easily knew beforehand which one must be the fake. it doesnt look kosher at all
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ParadigmPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for Monster Cable's business practices, I find that they are no different then any other corporation. Yes, they aggressively protect their branding (perhaps to an unrealistic degree) but no more so then Apple or Burger King. Also, to Monster's credit, the aforementioned Engadget quote was promptly removed after issue was raised.

the engadget quote isnt the half of it!

Monster Cable has a swarm of lawyers working for them, with the sole purpose of scaring small companies with the threat of long-term litigation. they do this in order to secure royalty fees that they do not deserve. they have even sued a family-run miniature golf establishment, which was Halloween-themed, named "Monster Entertainment." though clearly outside of their industry, and despite the fact that no one would ever confuse the two, they claimed trademark infringement anyways.

ask any IP law student about Monster - they have been the subject of numerous studies.

Oct 25, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Monster Cable has a swarm of lawyers working for them, with the sole purpose of scaring small companies with the threat of long-term litigation. they do this in order to secure royalty fees that they do not deserve. they have even sued a family-run miniature golf establishment, which was Halloween-themed, named "Monster Entertainment." though clearly outside of their industry, and despite the fact that no one would ever confuse the two, they claimed trademark infringement anyways.

ask any IP law student about Monster - they have been the subject of numerous studies.

I believe I mentioned this. Joel has a well documented history of using his legal council to inappropriate means. I should add that I am by no means condoning Monster Cable's business practices, as I think that they are unduly exploitative. Monster Cable has massive profit margins, and the majority of business owners whom they target do not have the financial means nor litigious experience to combat them in a proper court of law.

Ironically, one would think that Monster Cable would realize that these frivolous lawsuits are causing great harm to their perception in the eye of the general public. Monster's sales come from places like Best Buy or (formerly) Circuit City, where employees would grab handfuls of Monster Cables for customers who are purchasing a flat-screen and/or surround sound system.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristopherG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the help. Hopefully I CAN return them... Because I don't want to sell a pair of phony headphones! That was my first time using eBay, and most likely my last!

That is a shame. I would encourage you to contact him. If his feedback is decent, chances are he genuinely didn't know that the headphones were fakes. If you can't return them, I believe you can file a complaint with PayPal or eBay. I don't use either that much and have never had a problem, but I'm sure there is a way to resolve such an issue, assuming an uncooperative seller.

Good luck

Oct 25, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #14 of 16
Monster Turbine went through a design change, from the flat nozzle tip to the tapered one. See here http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/m...ml#post6032678
I wonder if you just got the different revisions. But the rest of the house look a little different on the two you have as well....

Oct 25, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristopherG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the help. Hopefully I CAN return them... Because I don't want to sell a pair of phony headphones! That was my first time using eBay, and most likely my last!

File a dispute with them. You should be able to get your money back if you do it quick enough.

Never liked Monster tbh. Overpriced cables and shady business practices. Don't they advertise the "Monster difference" with TVs by having one use HDMI and another with composite cables? Not to mention all the silly lawsuits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back