Did I just blow my new ATH-M50? Please Help!
Jun 19, 2013 at 5:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Jeeg

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I just got my new ATH-M50 limited edition. Now, I had heard that drivers need to open up and all. So I plugged it into my macbook and played it at full volume (both iTunes and mac) for about 5 mins. That's not it. After some time, I plugged it into my macbook again and played this at full volume.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvBtQmY2B5I

I know I acted like an idiot. I am wondering if I have blown my new headphones. Is this enough to blow out the drivers? I did not use any amps or anything. Is the macbook volume enough? Is there any way to know for sure?

It is tough to tell if there is any change in sound because I had barely even heard them before I started blasting music through. What changes should I expect?

Second thing,

I noticed that my headphones sound better on my iPod than on my macbook pro. Is this normal?

Jun 19, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #2 of 9
You are not necessarily supposed to play at "full volume." Only play the music at a volume slightly louder than usual. If the drivers are damaged or blown, you will be able to tell.

I noticed that my headphones sound better on my iPod than on my macbook pro. Is this normal?

It's possible, but were you playing the same file/bitrate on both your iPod and laptop? Did you already disable EQ to make them sound the same?

Jun 19, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #3 of 9
I didn't read that first. I blasted it at full volume. But that video has frequency range from 20hz-20khz. m50s can take 15hz - 28khz. I don't think that should be enough to damage my headphones. My headphones sound fine to me, but I have only used Apple earphones all my life! So I don't know if they are damaged.

Also, compared to earphones, the music on my headphones sounds, ummm... how do I say it, deeper/darker/heavier. The earphones sound more open, music is a lot neater (doesn't mean better). Is this true for all headphones?

Jun 19, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #5 of 9
btw the dac on ur ipod is prolly better than your laptop. That could be the reason why it sounds better on ur ipod. laptop in general are known to have poor soundcards in general.

Jun 19, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #6 of 9
Also, it seems that the vocals are drowned by the music. I am using the vocal-booster equalizer setting on iTunes to make it sound good. Has anyone noticed this? Will this get better with burn-in?

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Also, it seems that the vocals are drowned by the music. I am using the vocal-booster equalizer setting on iTunes to make it sound good. Has anyone noticed this? Will this get better with burn-in?

The M50 has a recessed midrange, which is the cause of the "drowned vocals".  It seems you would prefer a neutral headphone.

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
The M50 has a recessed midrange, which is the cause of the "drowned vocals".  It seems you would prefer a neutral headphone.

Really!! You mean they will always be like this? Damn! I knew I should have bought the Sennheisser 558!
I think I am used to the apple earphones, which pretty much only delivered mid-range. I hope it gets better with burn-in.

The iTunes EQ makes them sound a lot better, but unfortunately, I would not be able to use them with my ipod nano.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back