Did I hear you say you want an SPL Phonitor?
Jul 30, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #226 of 245
Quote:
I think he should have tried to get some nicer phones first, but as we know it's his amp and he can sell it if he wants.  It'd be nice if he could have enjoyed it with more than just AD900 or RE-0 where it is just plain overkill.

Agreed. Even if it would have taken him a year or more, it would have been great if the win would have increased his interest enough to see him keep it for himself. It's unfortunate that wasn't an option for him, but we all have different situations that we adapt to. At least we got (an expected) confirmation that a top level can is really needed as an amp in itself won't magically improve the cans (particularly not if the source isn't top notch either). 

Jul 30, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #227 of 245
Quote:
At least we got (an expected) confirmation that a top level can is really needed as an amp in itself won't magically improve the cans (particularly not if the source isn't top notch either). 

Or it really is all smoke and mirrors, that the Phonitor is nothing more than an overpriced crossfeed with an amp that is comparable to the $89 Fiio E7.

Jul 30, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #228 of 245
Sad that he's selling it, but I think choosing the winner by random was the best way of doing it.

Would have been great if he made a loaner program before he sold it though.
I've really been drooling over this amp, but I don't think I'll be willing to buy one before trying it.

Jul 30, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #229 of 245

Quote:
It's a bit disheartening to see the amp up keanex has for sale now

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/564878/spl-phonitor

oh dear, that's a bit too soon. Kinda slap in SPL's face. Oh well I for one am still enjoying my Auditor 

Jul 30, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #230 of 245

Quote:
Or it really is all smoke and mirrors, that the Phonitor is nothing more than an overpriced crossfeed with an amp that is comparable to the $89 Fiio E7.

Well, we won't find out which it is for him, either way.

Jul 30, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #231 of 245
Wasn't part of the deal to write a review of the SPL Phonitor. Did he write a review?

I am still enjoying my Auditor as well. Just got through listening to Dutch Electro on it. That amp does keep up with that music.

Jul 30, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #232 of 245
Jul 30, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #233 of 245
^ I see. Okay, thanks Trasselkalle and .Sup for the link.
Wow. The photos. It's a beautiful amp.

Jul 30, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #234 of 245

Quote:
Wasn't part of the deal to write a review of the SPL Phonitor. Did he write a review?

I am still enjoying my Auditor as well. Just got through listening to Dutch Electro on it. That amp does keep up with that music.

Hi Clayton. He has written it: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/564606/review-spl-phonitor-initial-impressions-conclusion#post_7637242

I haven't read it yet as I just came from work an hour ago and will probably do it tomorrow.

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #235 of 245
I won the amp yes, in a fair contest of complete chance. Was I most deserving? Who is anyone here to decide? I had a close friend pass the day before I was announced the winner so it was something that made me forget about my tragic loss for a moment and have something to look forward to. Unfortunately my gear isn't capable of bringing out the power of this amp and my cars trasmission just went so I need funds to fix the transmission. I have no current use for the Phonitor and I have to sell it to fix my car. I'm sorry if others here are bitter, but that's how things go. I'm not going to hold onto a piece of equipment that I currently have no use for when I need my car to support my college and home needs. 

I reviewed the amp to the best of my ability. If you're not satisfied then continue the negativity, but I tried.

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #236 of 245

Quote:
I won the amp yes, in a fair contest of complete chance. Was I most deserving? Who is anyone here to decide? I had a close friend pass the day before I was announced the winner so it was something that made me forget about my tragic loss for a moment and have something to look forward to. Unfortunately my gear isn't capable of bringing out the power of this amp and my cars trasmission just went so I need funds to fix the transmission. I have no current use for the Phonitor and I have to sell it to fix my car. I'm sorry if others here are bitter, but that's how things go. I'm not going to hold onto a piece of equipment that I currently have no use for when I need my car to support my college and home needs. 

I reviewed the amp to the best of my ability. If you're not satisfied then continue the negativity, but I tried.

absolutely nothing wrong with that. im sure most people would agree that you made the best decision in your situation. i had something kind of similar happen to me! i won an apple ipad and loved it, but didnt really have a use for it because i already had an ipod touch and a macbook pro. so i sold it because i needed the money.

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #237 of 245
I just don't want to get things mistaken, I absolutely love this thing. It looks stunning, the controls are amazing and I'm sure that it's one of the best solid state amps available, which I've read numerous times. I just have had some bad luck come my way and without a car I can't work. Without work I can not go to school and continue my career. It's very unfortunate that I have to let this thing go and I definitely will be considering another one once I can afford it. Priorities though, unfortunately have gotten the best of me. 

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #238 of 245
^ I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Life is fleeting.
You did a good job in reviewing the SPL Phonitor--a much better job than I could have ever done. Thanks for the great photos of that amp, too. It looks like one heck of a tank.
Good luck to you, your car, and college.
smile.gif

Jul 31, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #239 of 245
Quote:

To be clear: I strongly feel that you are in the right to do as you want. Sure, it would have been great if you had been in a position to use it to gradually increase your interest, but you weren't, so that's that.

Concerning the review, and as I said in my previous post with tips on how to approach the review - don't ever feel a need to apologize for your opinions. It was your review. If we want to hear more, we just have to either listen to it ourselves or wait for more reviews from someone else. You don't owe the community anything beyond what you've provided.

Regarding the whole 'deserving' aspect - if SPL wanted to do a random winner then they were only after the publicity of holding the competition. They got their review/first impressions on the first page of HF already. If they wanted to send the unit for review to some people (as part of a loaner program), they would have. This was entirely about publicity, and there's nothing wrong with that. A giveaway based on who is most deserving is utterly tasteless imo. Random is generous. Reading through a ton of entries and saying that all but one aren't deserving enough could have felt like a major turn-off towards SPL gear for many people who don't agree with who became 'the Chosen One'.

Jul 31, 2011 at 1:33 PM Post #240 of 245
@keanex, I'm sorry for your loss and for the conditions that made it impossible for you to hold on to the SPL. I posted a judgmental comment earlier, but in retrospect, I shouldn't have. It's impossible to know other people's lives and situations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back