Did I hear the Senn600 w/adequate power?
May 14, 2002 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

daveemac

100+ Head-Fier
The local dealership used a nad cd player and the headphone jack of a nad c370 amp. The amp is 80 watts a side, I believe. The salesman was sure that the jack was highly powered, but after having read different things here I just wanted to make sure. Is this as good as hearing them with a midlevel dedicated headphone amp? Why or why not?

Thanks.

May 14, 2002 at 9:46 PM Post #3 of 7
Hi dave.......II'm not familiar with that component, so I can't state with any certainty that it is either adequate or inadequate to drive the Senns. Maybe someone here can do that. I can say, from experience, that the Senn HD-600s sound much better when driven with adequate power. I noticed an improvement with the Creek OBH-11 over any headphone jack I have on either integrated amps or receivers. Whether or not you will have the same experience really depends on an audition. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
frown.gif

May 14, 2002 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 7
The HD600's sound very good from any decent source, which you probably had.

However, to find out how good they really are, visit one of the stops on the World of Headphones Tour. They are using HD600's to demo the BLOCKHEAD.

I'm very happy with my 600's driven from a 2001 Total Airhead. The Loaner Little I tried was noticeably better.

I'm not sure I want to hear what they are like with the Blockhead. Not unless I win the Lottery before then.

Both my Harmon Kardon A/V Reciever and my JVC A/V Reciever sound very good driving 600's from thier HP Jacks. Better from line out through TA. Even better through Little.

The only way to go wrong with HD600's is to try to drive them from the HP jacks of most portables. A very few will drive them, but most MUST have some help from some type of amp.

Oh, Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet.

For Kelly;
IMNSHO

May 15, 2002 at 3:14 AM Post #5 of 7
The HD580 -- close cousin of the HD600 -- is just short of hard to drive, IMHO. You can't plug them into a truly weak source and get anything worthwhile out of them, but you also don't have to get a massively heroic amp to get decent sound out of them, earlier. There are other headphones commonly mentioned here that are truly difficult, but not the HD580/600s.

The more power you give them, the better, of course.

Let me give you an example: a CMoy amp is about as simple as solid state amps get. It's made of one IC, nine resistors and four capacitors. That's it. You can cram the circuit into a little over 1 square inch of board space without all that much trouble.

A Cmoy amp can power HD600s to plenty of volume, and the phones will have a good amount of body -- they certainly won't be thin. But, as you upgrade to faster and faster amps with better and better power handling, the headphones will gather clarity and snap in the mids and highs, and and tight, accurate bass.

This applies to all headphones, actually. It's just that headphones like the HD600 can do more with better headphone amps. Lesser headphones' performance almost plateaus at some point -- a better amp just won't help much with these other phones once you pass a certain point. There's little point in plugging in the freebie headphones that come with your portable CD player into a $1000 amplifier, but an HD600 will love the better amp.

These are all generalizations. Some amps mate better with HD580s/600s better than others. Again, just like all headphones and amps.

May 15, 2002 at 3:24 AM Post #6 of 7
[size=xx-small]Duplicate post, please ignore.[/size]

May 15, 2002 at 3:50 AM Post #7 of 7
[size=xx-small]Duplicate post, please ignore.[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back