Did I goof? Help w/ upgrading & replacing X-Fi HD usb + Sennheiser G4me setup
Jan 5, 2016 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

cefx

New Head-Fier
Hey,

I apologize for being a noob, but the threads I'm reading are giving me conflicting opinions/information.

Current setup: Creative X-Fi HD USB + Sennheiser G4me Zero's closed headphones
New setup: Beyerdynamic MMX300's + PCI-E Asus Strix Raid DLX [currently about to get shipped, when the store opens anyways, in a few hours].

I do a lot of online gaming and videochatting.  I'm going to be doing gaming content creation, inevitably.  So far, the Beyer's mic seems quite good as I'm no pewdiepie or big time streamer.
But I'm wondering if I should sell the MMX300's on Craigslist while I can still get retail value for them, cancel the order for the Strix? Assuming I did this, this gives me a budget of about $800. Canadian.

CMSS3D vs Dolby Headphone vs other offerings is terribly confusing. I realized I never even used the THX Surround simulation on the X-Fi hd until today, but I play a lot of FPS's where positional audio helps [h1z1, CS, mean greens, r6 siege, etc.]

Needs: High fidelity audio [I've got Wharfedale home theater speakers, Adam F5's computer speakers for another setup, etc.] but also some kind of positional audio mindfulness.
Gaming features. Comfort to be worn for hours at a time.

Theoretical purchases: DT990's + Fostex HAP50? Creative BlasterX G5 & USB mic?

I suppose I'm just concerned at having forked out about $600 for new audio parts and I'm afraid of PCI-E soundcards vs USB soundcards lol.

https://www.asus.com/Sound-Cards/STRIX-RAID-DLX/websites/global/products/uJAG0BOPBAknyZiz/img/hp/dlx_pic04_0.png
This encourages me a bit, but is that good circuitry and layout? I wouldn't actually know. D:

Jan 5, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #2 of 7
No help?

I'm thinking a set of DT990's + Rode NT1 usb + Schiit amp/dac combo?

Seems like itd be the least expensive route while seeing great quality audio. I don't think I really need the positional audio but I'm not 100% sure.

Jan 5, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 7
Cancelled my order.

I decided I'll simplify everything as I've already got the Beyerdynamic MMX300 and I'm satisfied with it.

I'll rock the Creative Soundblaster Z+MMX300, as I cannot seem to find the Sound BlasterX G5 anywhere. I don't know if the E5 would be good enough for what I want, in terms of gaming.

I would like some kind of positional audio/virtual surround for when I'm playing certain games. This means I can't really get a Modi/Magni stack or something similar.

Any advice or info yet? Haha.

Jan 5, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #4 of 7
I think you'll find most people here are focused on hardware for the sake of music reproduction rather than for surround sound or gaming. I know some headphones like the Philips X2 (and possibly the 990) have been said to be good at reproducing directional audio cues. Beyond that you'll probably need to make a more specific thread title about gaming needs. /r/audiophile or /r/headphones on Reddit may have more gamers.

Jan 5, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks man! I will check out those reddit sections. :) A mod can close or delete this thread now. [I've read Mad Lust's and the other PC gaming audio thread...saw the DT990 mentioned. I'll have to do some careful deliberation and check youtube vids.]

I'll ask around on headphones and audiophile and some gaming sites.  Much obliged, sorry to waste forum space!

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #7 of 7
I ended up going with this setup:

Teac HA-P50 + Beyer DT880 250Ohm + at2020 usb.

Absolutely loving it. Holy **** this blows everything else away.  But at $300 for that DAC/AMP combo, is it the best choice for connecting to a computer? I really enjoy the low presence the Teac has physically. The Magni/Modi look like they take up so much real estate.

Not sure what else is comparable in the $300 CAD range, before tax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back