Did I get the best headphones for the money? (AKG K240)
May 12, 2013 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Hifi Man

100+ Head-Fier
I got the AKG K240 for about 77 dollars and have been doing all but sleeping with them on, wearing them constantly. I'm just curious to know if I wanted to step it up with quality, what headphones should I be looking at if I could spend under 200 dollars? I listen to mainly shoegaze and metal. Did I get the best sounding pair of headphones for around this price range?

May 12, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #2 of 6
I got the AKG K240 for about 77 dollars and have been doing all but sleeping with them on, wearing them constantly. I'm just curious to know if I wanted to step it up with quality, what headphones should I be looking at if I could spend under 200 dollars? I listen to mainly shoegaze and metal. Did I get the best sounding pair of headphones for around this price range?

I loved my K240 MKii. I feel for there Proce they are pretty big bang for the buck. If you wanted to upgrade for under $200, idk it it'd be worth it, but Q701 would prolly be a step up

May 14, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

I personally think you did get the best headphone in it's price range. I personally think the K240 is actually is in the Q701, HD 600/650, and DT 880/990 league when it has a good system with good synergy behind it. After hearing them on a high-end system, I believe this to be the case. I know I'm not the only who believes this either.

May 16, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 6
I own the 240s and it's quite a large step up to the 701s (which I own as well).  If you can get your hands on a pair of 701s for $200 then I'd definitely jump on it... they're worth it if that's the sort of sound signature you enjoy.  It may also be worthwhile having multiple cans with different sound signatures as no single signature is ideal for all types of music.  Figure out what you listen to most, which type of sound you enjoy most for that type of music and then decide which headphone based on those criteria and your budget.  There are plenty of people on this forum just itching to help you spend your money on some new gear.

May 16, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 6
I just posted a simple mod that brings the k240 closer to the k702 signature. It's still a good headphone stock, but i believe controlling the bass on this headphone brings it to another level.

Here is the thread :
http://www.head-fi.org/t/416858/k-240-monitor-to-df-modification/30#post_9443827

Users who are viewing this thread

Back