Did I destroy the right-side driver on my HFI-580 because of massive bass?
Jan 27, 2012 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MrNurse

100+ Head-Fier
***Problem solved. It was definitely a defective driver. I replaced my 580s with brand new ones. My new ones can't replicate that flabby sound even at higher gain and volume.***

I just bought the HFI-580's. I have only about 10 hours of burn-in. *Now 30 hours*

I'm driving them with my Rockbox Clip+ and E5 amp.

I just installed Rockbox on my Clip+ so now I'm able to boost the bass to insane levels.

I put the "bass" on max gain/but the 60 Hz on 8 dB gain. with the Rockbox EQ and played my bassiest song. I noticed when when I raise the volume up to a certain point, the right side sounds like it's "fluttering" like something is a little loose at certain times when the bass hits the hardest only w/ sub-bass. I've never experienced this before.
But when this happens, the bass is at INSANE quantity that is acheived with Rockbox. On stock firmware, EQ'd to achieve the most bass and the volume on max, this doesn't happen.

The reason why I'm concerned is because it's only on the right side, the left sounds perfectly fine.
Let's say the right side starts doing this at 60%, I raise it up to about 70% or higher and the left side STILL isn't doing this. I try it all the way up to about 75% or so and stop because I start to hear distortion.

Otherwise at lower volume/lower bass gain, both sides sound equal and the bass hits with equal impact from what I can hear.
confused_face.gif

**VIDEO**
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XfF-szmlgQ

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #2 of 10
Bump.

Jan 28, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 10
No input?

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #4 of 10
Well, when you do a burn-in you must begin slowly, not loud with a max of bass for example. You have the same problem with all your others songs? Its maybe a problem with your amp too.

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #5 of 10
I'm not sure what to make of it, but it's probably just the EQ distorting. I suggest you never use your EQ at max, and when you do EQ, try reducing the other frequencies and raising the overall volume instead. 

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #6 of 10
I really don't have a clue. It could be a problem with the amp, or just distortion. Does this only happen when you adjust the volume? I have a similar problem with Pro 900 but on the left side, only on bass heavy songs and only when I adjust the volume. If I turn it up loud and don't touch the volume it's perfectly fine.

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
Well, when you do a burn-in you must begin slowly, not loud with a max of bass for example. You have the same problem with all your others songs? Its maybe a problem with your amp too.

Quote:
I'm not sure what to make of it, but it's probably just the EQ distorting. I suggest you never use your EQ at max, and when you do EQ, try reducing the other frequencies and raising the overall volume instead. 

These 580's were open box, but they were in flawless condition and had all the plastic on them. Maybe that's the reason why the previous owner returned them?

I'll try with other bass-heavy songs...

Only with two songs that I know of. I can hear that flabbyness on the right side driver. Those two songs are more prone to distortion, but one song the bass hits HARD. The other song "Nice Watch" doesn't have insane bass, but it's more prone to distortion.

It doesn't really sound like distortion, it really sounds as if the right side is loose. When I raise the volume even higher for a quick second, I hear distortion. When I play that one song with my iPhone instead of my Clip+ and raise the EQ (60 Hz) past 5.0 dB, there's distortion which I hear on both sides of my headphones.

It's only the "bass" option on the Clip+ Rockbox that is boosted to max. The 60 Hz Band Gain is only at 8 dB out of a 24 dB max. The volume is only at about 70%.

I made a quick video of my cans that show how it sounds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XfF-szmlgQ

***I just tried it with other songs that have heavier bass than "Nice Watch" and I have to put the volume higher and it only happens with the right side again.

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #8 of 10
Worry more about your ears than your headphones. Don't listen at such high levels. Your headphones are easily replaceable. Your ears are not.

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
Worry more about your ears than your headphones. Don't listen at such high levels. Your headphones are easily replaceable. Your ears are not.

The actual volume is not that loud at all. Just the bass option on the Clip+.
Even then, I don't listen to music at those high bass levels. I just wanted to test out my new Clip+ and my new HFI-580's.

Jan 29, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #10 of 10
Problem solved. It was definitely a defective driver. I replaced my 580s with brand new ones. My new ones can't replicate that flabby sound even at higher gain and volume.
Excellent!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back