Did i blow out my new headphones?
Apr 18, 2007 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

almach1

Head-Fier
I'm a newb that just got some Senn HD595's i think the left cub is blown out. it's only at large volume and when the bass hits hard. it rattles a bit.

is this something Senn can fix, or might it be some loose screw i should try to fix myself?

either way i'm pissed and need some advice. I probably shouldn't be listening to rap music that loud anyways.

the song i was playing while i heard the rattle FYI: The Fixxers - Can U Werk Wit Dat

Apr 18, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #5 of 13
i still got to pay to ship them to Senn's repair center in CN. i'll try some different audio sources tomorrow.

Apr 20, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #7 of 13
so i'm opening up an RMA ticket with Sennhieser. Just wanted to get some things clear.

1. I have to pay for shipping to them (right?)

2. The will fix under warranty? for free? right?

3. They will pay to ship back to me (right?)

Apr 20, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #9 of 13
bought online for cheap, one of thoes e-tailers from amazon for 140. either way i got to return them. i'll check their return policy

Apr 20, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #10 of 13
I hope you get everything sorted out. But I must comment here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by almach1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
either way i'm pissed and need some advice. I probably shouldn't be listening to rap music that loud anyways.

If you are listening at a volume level that actually blew a driver out on a pair of headphones, you will be deaf soon enough. Then you won't have to worry about headphones at all anymore, becuase they will be useless to you.

Seriously man, please do your ears a favor and lower the volume.

Apr 20, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #11 of 13
Before sending anything anywhere:

First try playing back the same audio through some speakers or other headphones. If the buzz isn't there - it's the cans. Listening to the Senns, swap left and right channels using software/hardware (swap cables) and see if the OTHER cup rattles playing back the same music. If it does, either the file/cd or the source is stuffed.

Apr 20, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #12 of 13
Do you have an equalizer? If yes, is the bass boosted? If the bass is boosted, how much is it boosted? If so, try setting bass to 0, turning down all the other frequencies, and turning up to the same volume as previously. How does it sound?
I've driven hd595 to stupid volumes, including using them as small speakers for my room, and nothing blew (using analog bass-boost, not eq). If you were listening at volumes enough to break those drivers, you would be already deaf. Or at least getting very badly ringing ears.

Oh ya, also check for accidental hairs on the drivers, although highly unlikely with hd595 grill design. You can take off the pads easily, just don't be overly forceful, pull on them from the flatter side, and the synthetic grill can be taken off in a similar manner, there is no glue involved or anything. Just take a look at the drivers, maybe blow at them a bit.

What else...whats your source as asked here? My roommate got Logitech 5.1 speakers, plugged it into his laptop audio out using an adapter, and holy **** bass and treble rattle out the ***. I dragged one of my cute lil sources in, plugged in, distortion entirely gone. Drastic difference, and it did not show up before because he never used anything of even moderate quality. HD595 is by far more revealing of the issues than the Logitechs.

Apr 22, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #13 of 13
tested on a two other audio sources. I'm even starting to hear rattle even at low volumes only on the left speaker.

It's possible i blew them out because i use a splitter out my computer audio card to power my headphones and my 2.1 speakers. so the headphones are always on. I thought this wouldn't hurt in the meantime until i found a different solution. I've turned to high volume while listening to speakers, so that's when the headphones might of blown. So worst case scenario is my x-fi sound card at full volume blew them out.

either way, i'm going to RMA with Sennheiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back