Did/does hearing to headphones train your ears?
Jan 14, 2006 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Atropos

New Head-Fier
I wonder if you actually trained your ears by hearing to hifi headphones and comparing, or did you hear from beginning the difference between all the headphones?

For me its difficult to hear a difference between the HD650 and HD600 or just between headamps, sources or cables.
rolleyes.gif

so were you guys always that good?

Jan 14, 2006 at 12:46 AM Post #3 of 15
trained. But if you stop listening to a detailed phone for awhile, you start losing it. I remember I was using just the ksc-75 for weeks, then one day I got bored and used my senns. Went back to the ksc, heard things I hadn't heard (or remember hearing) before.

Jan 14, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #6 of 15
Atropos: I don't think listening to headphones has trained my ears - but it has certainly built up my experience regarding what to listen for and maybe also my vocabulary for describing what I hear...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jan 14, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #8 of 15
I've actually noticed that since I started listening to better headphones, my ability to determine the relative position of things from sound alone has improved.

Jan 14, 2006 at 6:48 AM Post #9 of 15
I think is has trained my ears. It has made me notice many more details and differences in sounds that I hear in everyday life. For example I'll be sitting in McDonlad's and music is playing over the speakers and I am thinking, "wow this has zero bass at all, just sounds like a drone". Before Headphones I would have never thought that

Jan 14, 2006 at 7:08 AM Post #10 of 15
The past year of various hifi headphones has absolutely trained my ears. Before, I couldn't tell the difference between (very different) headphones very well at all, but now I can listen to something and picture its frequency graph fairly easily. It's not just recognition, but I can actually distinguish things I never thought were different before. I used to think these people were making stuff up, but now I see that the differences are very real.

Jan 14, 2006 at 7:16 AM Post #11 of 15
Like other people have posted, I have learned to listen to the differences between different equipments. But I found out that you could only do this if you have other equipments to compare with. And after listening to different equipment, I have learned and refined my audio vocabulary so to speak. To me, a good analogy would be reading different books. When one is young or inexperienced, one can't really distinguish between good writing and bad writing. Or even if one could, it would be hard to express the perceived differences in clear, articulate terms. But after a while, when one has read enough books, one can start to appreciate the differences and start to discuss the differences more coherently and articulately.

Jan 14, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #12 of 15
Definitively heard new things - if nothing than with headphone right on your ear you can hear more things.

There is a direct inverse relationship between "training" and cash. As training goes up, cash goes down.
eggosmile.gif

Jan 14, 2006 at 11:08 PM Post #14 of 15
Yes... but I can still watch VH-1 Classic in mono over two small TV speakers and enjoy the music. In fact that's where I do most of my pop/rock listening these days.

Jan 15, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #15 of 15
Absolutely.

Critical listening to many different headphones is much like mastering a sport. Practise makes perfect. And perfect practise makes for perfect performance.

This forum helps by providing practical insights, and guideposts to subtle differences that might otherwise have been missed. Helping to achieve perfect practise if you will.

My point?

Many talk about the hardware blooming after an hour of warming up.

I agree, but I also believe our minds ability not only to hear, but to listen, also blooms. All that critical listening; practise, if you will, has resulted in enhanced perception when listening purely for pleasure. We can just disappear into the music. A mind expanding experience.

And that is the true beauty of what we do here, IMHO!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back