Did anyone notice this...
Oct 31, 2002 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

erix

500+ Head-Fier
Oct 31, 2002 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 8
Anyone hazard a guess how much this would cost to fully put together? I'm a total n00b... but interested in venturing into DIY AND the world of toobs. But, I haven't a clue what the parts costs might be (aside from the PCB).

Thanks!
Bruce

Oct 31, 2002 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 8
Check the Excel spread sheet, it seems to list everything but the shipping costs.

The PCB is $35 until the 6th then $40 so it's more than the $20 listed.

Looks like about $150 give or take a few sheckles.

Oct 31, 2002 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 8
Can just this issue be purchased for less than $35? I don't want to pay for a year's worth at $35, at least not without checking out the magazine first.

Nov 1, 2002 at 1:22 AM Post #5 of 8
I may be the first to build this - if I ever get any free time
rolleyes.gif
. I talked to Pete nearly six months ago and bought the 2nd prototype pcb and some parts for it. It is quite small 5*7 in, with tubes the size of my pinkie. With a step-up converter or two small 12V lead-acid batteries, it could be luggable. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it during Christmas

P.S. I designed a class A output stage to replace the BUF634, but due to the tight pcb I am wimping out and will use the 634. If anyone wants the schematic for it, I can send it to you.

Eric

Nov 1, 2002 at 1:55 AM Post #6 of 8
Nov 10, 2002 at 1:50 PM Post #8 of 8
Bringing this back up for two reasons.

A. Thanx for the schem, serow, looks like hot fun.

B. I e-mailed Pete and asked about the possibility for parralelling the BUF634's. He thought it would work but use seperate output resistor on each buffer. You would have to be creative to make this work on the PCB he designed - but it could be done!

Also, Pete showed me how to calculate the output cap for Grado's - using a 220uF/50V would probably be OK, but 470uF/50V would be better.

This is a cool looking project and it is at the top of my list. I wish I didn't have these other two semi-completed projects on the bench!

If you are at all interested in tubes but were afraid of the high voltages - this project is for you:

Runs off a 24V DC wall wart!

Easy-to-find parts!

If you use the PCB he points to on his site you are almost garaunteed success!

If you don't use the PCB, it is still a simple enough circuit to build point-to-point!

Go out and get the issue of audioeXpress before it's off the shelves!

ok,
erix

Users who are viewing this thread

Back