Did a pretty ghetto repair on my Custom 2 cable and made them IPhone compatible to boot
Apr 22, 2010 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Painful Chafe

500+ Head-Fier
It may not look too good, but my Custom 2's work great now. Not only do they sound as good as new, but they are Iphone compatible.

I purchased them a year and change ago, but Klipsch wouldn't warranty them because I couldn't find the receipt. Funny thing is they have a two year warranty and they haven't been out for two years yet. Obliviously they are under two years old, right?

The cable started going south a couple of months into my owning them. They progressively got worse until they stopped working because of a kink at the plug. I couldn't toss them. It's a principle thing. I payed good money after all. I had a pair of iphone compatible Skullcandy Smoking Buds and because they sounded like Skullcandy's I figured I would cut off the cable and try to solder it on the Custom 2's.

Though the repair looks a bit sketchy, they seam to be holding up fine. I put two small heat shrink tubes on both soldered wires and one wrapping both. I was worried the heat shrink behind my ears would bother me or be too stiff. Nope, feel fine.

Maybe some will say now there is a solder joint or you are using a cable from a set of Skullcandy's and they will not sound as good. After spending a year and a half with them I can say they sound the same. And as far as the cable being a Skullcandy cable, Klipsch probably didn't put anything special into their cable to make them superior and the durability and microphonics are far better with the Skullcandy cable.

P1000119.jpg

P1000120.jpg

Apr 22, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucozade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so it looks like skull candy cables are cloth covered ,same as klipsch?

Yup. They are. The microphonics aren't too bad, much better than the Klipsch. Also, one strange thing. I bought the Skullcandy during a 70% off coupon floating around. They cost me about $10. For some reason the ones they sent are IPhone compatible. I have never seen IPone ones in the stores. They have a volume slider.

Apr 22, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucozade /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how do the c2 sound ?, the c3 sound fantastic

They are very good but the he Custom 3's sound better to me. I'm a bit of a bass head apparently. But the 3's were over $100 more and my budget wouldn't allow it. 3's are cheap as hell now and I didn't consider buying them because of the cable issue. But now that I know I can fix them when the inevitable happens, I might do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back