Diana MR gear recos
Mar 3, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #16 of 35
Second the point of Diana not being the most comfortable headphones. Fwiw I found the Sennheiser hd800s to be pretty comfortable.
True, but the Diana sounds far better. The iFi Gryphon, Nano, and iDSD are all really good portable solutions. Never encountered any hiss

Mar 4, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #18 of 35
Far better than hekv2, right?

Sounds like bass presence and details are the main advantage of Diana MR. I suspect soundstage better on hekv2
Whether it's better or not is up to personal preference. I prefer the Diana because I like the low-end to be as present as the mids and highs. Soundstage is good on both. The overall on the Diana V2 is better, as it should be since it's a brand new headphone wile the HEKv2 is ancient by headphone standards - it already has several replacements (SE, stealth magnets version).

Mar 17, 2024 at 10:38 AM Post #19 of 35
The MR are excellent. Did you want an all-in-one or separate? Schiit makes some really good stuff, so Bifrost 2and Jot 2 would be a good combo. Topping makes good stuff, their 9 series would be good. I don't really like Burson all that much due to software/hardware annoyances, but they make products that sound good at least. Fiio K9 is supposed to be decent also. If you have the room, the Cocktail Audio HA500H and Questyle CMA Fifteen are very good.
Unfortunately I couldn't find a place to demo the gear you recommended so I demo'd what I could, which were the RME Adi-2/4 Pro Se, Shanling EM5, and Ifi Neo Stream. I found them to be marginally better than my ifi go bar. Maybe I'm not skilled enough as a listener but to me the difference was not transformational, ~5% improvement using the RME, which was my favorite. Crucially, I found out the hiss is coming from the recording (if you're interested in what I mean give "Speak to me" by Pink Floyd a listen and crank up the volume, the hiss should be noticeable in between drum strikes in the first 30 seconds of the track). It makes me wonder if one goes high enough up the dac/amp food chain if the gear will be able to compensate for the recording quality and remove the hiss/other imperfections. Gonna hold off on buying anything since my fundamental gripe was not fixed, and I'm not sure if it can be fixed.

Mar 21, 2024 at 9:05 AM Post #20 of 35
I tried the Abyss Diana for 5 minutes at Audio46 — and I must say it created a lasting impact on me just like the Utopia and Susvara did. I would love to pick up the Diana as my next headphone at some point.

Mar 21, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #21 of 35
Far better than hekv2, right?

Sounds like bass presence and details are the main advantage of Diana MR. I suspect soundstage better on hekv2
Having tried both the HE1000V2 for about a week, and the Diana for 5 minutes, I want to say the Diana blows the HIFIMAN right out of the water. It's more comparable to the Susvara rather than anything below. Not even the same league.

Diana has more and better-controlled bass, more detail, and more holographic soundstage.

Mar 21, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #22 of 35
Having tried both the HE1000V2 for about a week, and the Diana for 5 minutes, I want to say the Diana blows the HIFIMAN right out of the water. It's more comparable to the Susvara rather than anything below. Not even the same league.

Diana has more and better-controlled bass, more detail, and more holographic soundstage.
I’m definitely thinking way too much about how to make it happen. That price tag is a challenge! Thanks for the confirmation.

Mar 21, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #23 of 35
I’m definitely thinking way too much about how to make it happen. That price tag is a challenge! Thanks for the confirmation.
You get really close to the Susvara for half the price. That's pretty amazing really

Mar 21, 2024 at 9:55 AM Post #24 of 35
I've found the Mojo 2 to have fantastic synergy with the Diana MR.

Mar 21, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #26 of 35
@Daniel4IEM It's not that easy for me to do a ranking, because I like to collect headphones with different strengths and weaknesses, so it really comes down more to what I'm looking for in the moment - a "wine pairing" or "horses for courses" approach.

I think if the Diana MR had a larger stage, it would be the perfect planar. I think the Susvara beats it handily for stage and layering, and the HE1000v2 Pre-Stealth stage is even wider than that. However, the fact that Diana MR has an intimate studio monitor type presentation actually helps it when it comes to texture. I think it's the most texture-forward headphone in my collection, so if you really want to hear the nuances of a synthesizer or the crunch of an electric guitar, the Diana MR is tops for that. It also easily beats the Sus and HEK for bass quantity and punch.

I'd put it ahead of the HEK but a way behind Susvara, because I care about soundstage and - to me - the Diana is about HD600 or Focal Clear level when it comes to soundstage and layering. Imaging is pin-point, though.

HOWEVER, the Diana has become my favorite relaxation and background listening headphone. It's got mids for days, and it think the reason it's so immediately impressive is that it puts detail and texture right up front and makes them super accessible without even listening for them. On the Susvara and HEK things are more diffused, and you've gotta pay closer attention to get everything, while the Diana just puts it right there in your ears.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #27 of 35
Holy cow quite the HP collection you have (per your signature). Where does Diana MR rank in the collection? Curious where hekv2 sits as well
You didn't ask me, but I put the Diana MR several spots above the HEKv2 and just below my Susvara. Solitaire P hasn't been ranked yet. Link to my ranking list in sig.

Mar 21, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #29 of 35
@Daniel4IEM It's not that easy for me to do a ranking, because I like to collect headphones with different strengths and weaknesses, so it really comes down more to what I'm looking for in the moment - a "wine pairing" or "horses for courses" approach.

I think if the Diana MR had a larger stage, it would be the perfect planar. I think the Susvara beats it handily for stage and layering, and the HE1000v2 Pre-Stealth stage is even wider than that. However, the fact that Diana MR has an intimate studio monitor type presentation actually helps it when it comes to texture. I think it's the most texture-forward headphone in my collection, so if you really want to hear the nuances of a synthesizer or the crunch of an electric guitar, the Diana MR is tops for that. It also easily beats the Sus and HEK for bass quantity and punch.

I'd put it ahead of the HEK but a way behind Susvara, because I care about soundstage and - to me - the Diana is about HD600 or Focal Clear level when it comes to soundstage and layering. Imaging is pin-point, though.

HOWEVER, the Diana has become my favorite relaxation and background listening headphone. It's got mids for days, and it think the reason it's so immediately impressive is that it puts detail and texture right up front and makes them super accessible without even listening for them. On the Susvara and HEK things are more diffused, and you've gotta pay closer attention to get everything, while the Diana just puts it right there in your ears.
I love this. Thank you so much. I just sent back hekv2 due to its lack of bass, occasional brightness and the oval cups and clamp force putting pressure on my jaw. I will dearly miss the soundstage of hekv2 for accoustic music, but not find myself listening to all my favorite music across any genre. Diana MR seems like it would be great for me, so I will continue to dream

Mar 21, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #30 of 35
You didn't ask me, but I put the Diana MR several spots above the HEKv2 and just below my Susvara. Solitaire P hasn't been ranked yet. Link to my ranking list in sig.
Makes me so happy seeing your rankings! I'm a week into JMA XTC2 and worlds happier than hekv2 in terms of bass and custom tuning, significantly better fit/comfort (still not perfect but certainly improvement), and well value/price. I am actually considering a closed back too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back