Diana Krall: Look of Love - Weird Sonics?
Sep 17, 2007 at 7:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

peter braun

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone else noticed that the piano solo at approx. two and a half minutes into the first track sounds really bad? Like in a recessed and even distorted sort of way? I am hoping it is not my cdp, but every other component of the song sounds fine as do other cds. I also noticed the same phenomenon on a Regina Spektar album, but again everything else sounds fine. Is this just a flaw in the recordings or your can system have problems reproducing one particular type of instrument?

Sep 17, 2007 at 8:51 AM Post #2 of 20
There are quite a number of "errors" on that disc, just like on most of the Nora Jones's ones.
I actually use that disc to check out the accuracy of the reproduction on my system. A good system should reveal those flaws, not hide them. So I won't blame your CDP just yet.

Sep 18, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #3 of 20
If I remembered correctly, there was a distortion or two in some parts but don't ask me where since it's been a couple months since I listened. Even so, I think it's a well recorded album IMO. Outstanding sound dispite the possible bugs.

Sep 18, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #4 of 20
Where are the errors in the Nora Jones disks? I'd like to check them out.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are quite a number of "errors" on that disc, just like on most of the Nora Jones's ones.
I actually use that disc to check out the accuracy of the reproduction on my system. A good system should reveal those flaws, not hide them. So I won't blame your CDP just yet.

Sep 18, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 20
x2 here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitebar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where are the errors in the Nora Jones disks? I'd like to check them out.

Thanks!

Sep 19, 2007 at 10:32 AM Post #7 of 20
Doesn't sound that bad to me... but yeah, I can hear the distortion, so it's not your set-up.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 10:58 AM Post #8 of 20
Track 1,4,5 all have many recording errors. The sibilance issue on #1 and #5 drives me mad. The noise floor on some of the tracks is another.

Sep 19, 2007 at 11:20 AM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you guys ever listen to rock music being so picky?
smily_headphones1.gif

I drink beer, rum,champagne. Would you say I am picky if I complained the beer was not cold enough, the rum not strong enough, and the champagne too acidic?
Music is of the same nature.

Sep 19, 2007 at 11:31 AM Post #11 of 20
yes some error, piano has some distortion, and it is recessed, although IMO that was done on purpose. You can hear some sibilance. all of these you can over look unless you really want to hear them
wink.gif

BUT, none of those error, sibilance, recessed piano is in any way detracting from the performance, and I have no problem listening to that track over and over again enjoying the performance.

Sep 19, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #13 of 20
Try listening to it on a TC-7510 DAC and you'll even hear every breath she takes. I can swear that on one track I can also detect the drummer dropping one of his sticks. Got to dig out the CD to post which track that was on.

Sep 19, 2007 at 1:37 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Try listening to it on a TC-7510 DAC and you'll even hear every breath she takes.

That's very intimate and private.

Sep 19, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #15 of 20
Which album are your referring to

Quote:

Track 1,4,5 all have many recording errors. The sibilance issue on #1 and #5 drives me mad. The noise floor on some of the tracks is another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back