Diamond Rio PMP300 - a piece of DAP history
Jun 18, 2007 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MetalManCPA

500+ Head-Fier
As I was neatening up my office, I came across my Diamond Rio PMP300 with it's whopping 32mb card.

What I didn't realize was, according to my research, the PMP300 was the 2nd ever DAP and the 1st mass marketed DAP. So I own a piece of history. I guess I'll add it to my other historical artifacts such as my original Whammo Super Ball.

Jun 18, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 8
Lol, my friend had that same DAP in highschool...god was he gettin' all the ladies. That is a historical piece...

Jun 18, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 8
I'll never forget when I upgraded from my 32mb PMP300 to the first 20gb iPod (second gen)

Jun 19, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #5 of 8
Did you ever have any luck getting the battery door to stay closed? Mine was such a problem, Rio ended up sending me a brand spankin' new 600 for free as a replacement. That's about the only positive thing I can say about my PMP 300 experience.

Jun 19, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by RubenNYC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you ever have any luck getting the battery door to stay closed? Mine was such a problem, Rio ended up sending me a brand spankin' new 600 for free as a replacement. That's about the only positive thing I can say about my PMP 300 experience.

I never had any problems with it. After winning the PMP300, it was replaced by my next "win" - a Creative Nomad II (I've had decent luck winning things over the years).

Jun 19, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #7 of 8
this is my oldest little treasure:

DSC01201.jpg

runs on SmartMedia cards, which max out at 64mb.

Jun 19, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #8 of 8
I've said it before in other threads ... but the Nomad photo (thanks, by the way!) makes me think how much this branch of consumer electronics has changed in the last five years.

A lot of people bash Apple (I'm agnostic -- I think they're better than their detractors say they are and not as good as their fanatical followers think they are), but the iPod's market impact seems to me to have spurred a consumer "need" that has in turn led to an explosion in the marketplace, moving way beyond the 32MB and 64MB capacity players that were once known practically only to die-hard, computer-literate fans of portable music.

- Apple 2nd generation 10GB iPod for Windows (wretched battery, now a paperweight -- but it opened my eyes ... my ears were already open)
- Creative Muvo 256MB
- Creative Muvo 1GB
- Rio Carbon 5GB
- Cowon iAudio 5 1GB
- Rio Karma 20GB
- Creative Zen Nano 1GB
- Samsung YP-U2 512MB
- Apple 4th generation 40GB iPod (monochrome screen)
- Apple 2nd generation 4GB iPod Nano
- Creative Zen Stone
- iRiver 2GB T60

Users who are viewing this thread

Back