Diablo String Orchestra. Anyone else listen to them?
Jul 24, 2009 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

iSleipnir

1000+ Head-Fier
I had my music collection on random tonight and fell across this and I had to share.

Diablo Swing Orchestra is a Scandinavian band. I hesitate to call them metal because the range of styles they imitate are fairly wide. On their first album, The Butcher's Ballroom, they manage to include a waltz, a flamenco style piece, some peices on odd time signatures, and a BIG BAND piece. In a metal style. It's completely nuts and I love it!

Audio Samples:
On CDBaby
On MySpace

My favorite part about them though, is that they use uncommon instrumentations. On various songs you can regularly hear strings like violin and cello, trumpet, flute and piano. And they feature an operatic singer.

The best part is that the album has good sound quality unlike most Scandinavian metal

diabloswing.jpg

SO! Has anyone else heard of this band? Anyone willing to give it a listen and tell me what they think? It's definitely out there, but I really am a sucker for music that pushes genre boundaries.

Jul 24, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #2 of 10
DSO is definitely an entertaining band, and most definitely metal. I consider them a unique band in the metal scene, because, well, no one really sounds anything like them. They have a great combination of outright oddness and catchiness (yeah, I know it's not a word) that brings to mind bands like Unexpect, Devin Townsend, or Visions era Vintersorg.

Encyclopedia Metallum says they're active, so when is their next album coming out? I'm getting impatient!

Jul 24, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #3 of 10
The new album is supposed to be out on September 22nd. I will be interested to see how it is cause while The Butcher's Ballroom is a good album I felt that it still had room for improvement.

Jul 24, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #4 of 10
There's one of the new songs up on their myspace. And I know they've been working with a bunch of session musicians for this new album. I'm pretty excited for it.

I actually stumbled upon these guys because of Vintersorg. But I haven't heard of Unexptect. I'll have to check them out.

Jul 24, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new album is supposed to be out on September 22nd. I will be interested to see how it is cause while The Butcher's Ballroom is a good album I felt that it still had room for improvement.

Sweet! Thanks for the info. While I agree that Butcher's Ballroom was certainly not perfect, I did think it was a nice breath of fresh air in the scene. I'm eager to see if they can improve on their debut or if they go into the dreaded sophomore slump.

Jul 27, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #10 of 10
I diggy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back