DI/O advice requested
Aug 5, 2003 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Baenwort

New Head-Fier
I'm currently planing to get a DI/O device but I don't really know anything about them. The output is a coaxial digital out from the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0 MB.(nForce 2 with Soundstorm). It will being going to a Cosmic amp which will be going to my DT-770s.

I'm open to all suggestions and info. I'm looking to spend under 300 dollars US. It needs to be semi-portable(lugable) as I intend to use it when the Ship goes out to sea with my laptop.

Aug 5, 2003 at 7:12 PM Post #4 of 13
What would you like to know about the art? It has coax rca jacks for the digital input and output, and 1/4 jacks for the analog in and out. You can get one for $90 from www.fullcompass.com. The stancor psu from www.alliedelectronics.com or radio shack is commonly recommended to replace the stock one. www.boldercables.com offers you the chance to upgrade your art to truly stunning levels of performance.

Aug 7, 2003 at 12:38 AM Post #5 of 13
Ahh perhaps I should explain my question better.

I am looking to upgrade my source. Seeing as my computer is my primary source at home I saw my choice as being either geting a new sound card or geting somekind of outboard device. I had heard of DACs and such(primarily the ART DI/O) but other then the name I know next to nothing about the various brands and what their relitive rankings are.

I do know that I have a Coaxial(RCA) Digital out from the nForce2 MB that I have and I figure using that would allow me to spend all my avalible budget($300 US) on geting the best outboard device that I could afford.

Knowing my own knowledge was meager I came to the boards here to lay myself and my wallet before the more knowledgeable people on this board.

Aug 7, 2003 at 11:14 PM Post #6 of 13
$300 should just be about enough for ART DI/O and stuff for it. It's ~100 at fullcompass.com I think. You'll want a good digital cable, 1/4" -> RCA adaptor and possibly inline attenuators to reduce the very high output as that may clip your amp.

Aug 8, 2003 at 6:34 PM Post #7 of 13
What kinds of "stuff" do I need to get for the ART DI/O? I know very little about the digital side of things as this is my first forray into it. About all I know is that it should improve my sound and that my MB has a Digital out. I'm really hoping that someone can hold my hand though this or point me to enough information to be able to learn enough to stand on my own.

Aug 9, 2003 at 10:10 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Baenwort
Ahh perhaps I should explain my question better.

I am looking to upgrade my source. Seeing as my computer is my primary source at home I saw my choice as being either geting a new sound card or geting somekind of outboard device. I had heard of DACs and such(primarily the ART DI/O) but other then the name I know next to nothing about the various brands and what their relitive rankings are.

I do know that I have a Coaxial(RCA) Digital out from the nForce2 MB that I have and I figure using that would allow me to spend all my avalible budget($300 US) on geting the best outboard device that I could afford.

Knowing my own knowledge was meager I came to the boards here to lay myself and my wallet before the more knowledgeable people on this board.

Dude as I understand you're looking to use a DAC from the onboard digital out of your motherboard, the idea being that you'll get more value from an external DAC rather than buying another soundcard.

I'm not sure about the nForce onboard audio chips, I understand they're supposed to be the best of onboard (better than what VIA use etc) but I would suggest you look more closely into them before spending money on a DAC. Just because it's digital doesn't mean it is a perfect throughput - the chip may be upsampling to 48KHz for example, which you'd want to avoid. Even the digital out on some plugin cards do that, e.g. Soundblasters.

I think you may be better off buying a decent card, such as an M-Audio Revolution. It's onboard DACs are supposed to be very good.

Aug 10, 2003 at 5:31 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Baenwort
What kinds of "stuff" do I need to get for the ART DI/O?

I mentioned the items already, good digital cable, 1/4" -> rca adaptor, and possibly in line attenuators if the 7V output clips your amp.

Aug 10, 2003 at 3:14 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by badmonkey
I think you may be better off buying a decent card, such as an M-Audio Revolution. It's onboard DACs are supposed to be very good.

The nForce integrated sound is supposed to be very good out of the Coaxial outputs. I think the sound quality from the nForce using the coaxial outputs would be higher than that of the M-Audio. It would definitely be better than any Soundblaster card.

Aug 10, 2003 at 4:53 PM Post #11 of 13
Well I suppose I need to be a bit more specific in my questions. What is a line attenuators? and why would I need one if I have the output going to my Cosmic headphone amp? Also, looking at the cable selections what is the difference between BNC and RCA? Also what are Eichmann Bullet Plugs?

I really am steping over my head on this as up till now I've just had a Radio Shack 1/8" to RCA adapter from my output going to DiMarzio cables to my amp then just the headphones pluged into that. This is taking things to a level beyond my current knowledge and so I've come to you guys for advice as I realize that if I make the call with my current knowledge I'll end up geting something wrong.

Aug 10, 2003 at 6:33 PM Post #12 of 13
The line level output of consumer audio equipment is usually about 2V. The DI/O is a pro piece of equipment and has a higher output, 7V. This may clip your amp or give you no usable volume control as it may be off or too loud and no inbetween when you turn the knob.

Inline attenuator is RCA-RCA device which just reduces the voltage/volume. You'd have to see if you need it or not.

BNC is another connector type like RCA, 1/4", 1/8", etc. It's not that common.

RCA type connector has different brands/makes/models/manufacturers. Eichmann Bullet Plugs are just that.

Aug 11, 2003 at 5:32 AM Post #13 of 13
Thanks for the advice Ian.

Would anyone here in the forums happen to have or have tried useing a ART DI/O and the Headroom Cosmic amp togeather? If so did you find you needed a Inline attenuator?

andrzejpw, would you happen to know which would make the greatest difference? The upgraded PSU or the smART modification? One or the other would be within my budget but not both. I did not see the PSU you were talking about at alliedelectronics but am asking about the one I saw on the bolder web site.

It looks from the bolder web site that their smART modification reduces the output voltage to 2V which does solve the question off the inline attenuator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back