DHC nucleotide wire
Apr 16, 2010 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bik2101

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi, I bought a couple feet of this stuff because I wanted to try it out.. Made a few cables with it but one problem I keep running into is that when I'm soldering the wires, I always seem to be burning into the insulation and melting more of it away than I would like to.. any tips on how I can avoid this? thanks.

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 7
I get the whatever I am trying to attach the wire to hot enough for the solder to melt onto then touch the wire down onto the flowing solder. If you use enough flux, the melted solder will wick up on to the wire. A little shrinkback always seems to occur, but I have been doing pretty well recently.

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I get the whatever I am trying to attach the wire to hot enough for the solder to melt onto then touch the wire down onto the flowing solder. If you use enough flux, the melted solder will wick up on to the wire. A little shrinkback always seems to occur, but I have been doing pretty well recently.

hmm, i don't use flux but i do have a few samples of it. where and how do you use flux?

Apr 18, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #7 of 7
I never have this problem, mainly because if you use quality solder, the flux already inside is more than adequate.

Some wire is more prone to melting jackets than others. Canare is fairly resistant to high temps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back