DH-720G Arrived
Dec 25, 2004 at 4:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sfxjames

100+ Head-Fier
Good news, my DH-720G arrived.

I'm going to see if I can attempt to figure how effective they are with dolby headphone as opposed to my wireless 'phones with DIR800C.

Couple of notes though, the optical cable is very perculiar. The optical hook-up on the front of the decoder box is a RCA hook-up that takes an 1/8 rca plug to optical plug. I know it's strange, but that's the kind of connection the decoder box can take. Really simple, when you think about it.

Think of an simple analog rca 1/8 jack opening that works also as a digital jack to connect an optical cable, intriguing isn't it.

There is an included adapter for using more than just the supplied optical cable.

I will begin testing soon, either tonight or tommorow.

Dec 25, 2004 at 9:50 AM Post #2 of 9
Let's hear your impressions, then. I'm just a bit confused about your "1/8 rca" - do you happen to mean an 1/8 " mini-plug/socket? The same 1/8 " sockets (typically in white colour) are often found on pcdps and pmdrs as optical S/P-DIF out- and inputs, btw - usually in double duty as analogue line out- and inputs at the same time.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Dec 25, 2004 at 10:31 AM Post #3 of 9
yeah 1/8 miniplug socket. The 1/8 miniplug plugs into that and on the other end is an optical cable, it's really interesting how they tied analog/digital output together in one socket.

Sorry no impressions yet has to charge for awhile.

Dec 25, 2004 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 9
Looks like you get what you pay for, they don't even enter the competition so the price does match the quality, I sending'em back, it was worth a shot anyhow.

Sorry folks.

In this case the DIR800C wins. Wireless DIR800 headphones are much better than the wired DH-720 headphones.

Dec 26, 2004 at 9:34 AM Post #5 of 9
So did you check another wired headphone with the decoder box as well? Because I'd think it's the decoder box per se that's interesting - and not really the headphone that comes bundled with it...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Dec 27, 2004 at 12:55 AM Post #6 of 9
Well I'm sure they are the same, I plugged those wretched headphones into the 800C and I still got that bad sound, the headphones are too blame for that. Otherwise I'm going to save money by buying either the Grado SR225 to use with DIR800C or the ATH-DCL3000, both I have researched.

From Franchot point of view the 3000s are good for movies, it's Takashi's POV I worried about who said they sound hollow or too distant sounding, not good for action SFX movies or something like that. I trying to understand where he's coming from with that statement.

He praised the Gradio SR225, but now I'm learning that the comfort factor is at risk.

Dec 27, 2004 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 9
I was going to buy this unit before I e-mailed Jan about the HP 1500, so I bought that unit in the end. Sorry to hear u didn't like the unit, I hope u get your money back. I'd like to thank u, as u have done all of use a service. Still before u return the unit, u should test it more. Make sure your sound card settings are good, and u use better headphones. Maybe a friend can pass u some. I think A500 or A900 would work good with this unit, if the unit isn't the problem.

Dec 27, 2004 at 5:45 AM Post #8 of 9
No the decoder box is fine to me, the headphones are poor, so the DH-720G is great affordable DH decoder. I know that atleast already, I just have it all packed up and I don't want to have to open it up again. I was using my dvd player for tests I don't use my PC for movies. The funny thing about this decoder box is that there are no DH room settings which is kind of odd.

However from here those headphones on dir800 and DH-720G they pretty much have the same sound, it was the headphones.

Sorry I wasn't able to elaborate further but I really bought this thing for the quality of the headphones.

Dec 27, 2004 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 9
K, thats cool. I'm having problems with my HP 1500 as the digital cable doesn't fit the Audigy 2 ZS sound card. Now before anyone says what are u doing with a Audigy 2 ZS, its crap. I'd like to note that I will combo that card with a E-MU 1820M or 1820 sound card. Anyone know of a good audio/video cable seller online?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back