DFX improving low bitrate mp3s
Jan 16, 2002 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

kpxgq

New Head-Fier
i have a crapload of 128-190k mp3s and almost none at higher rate than that..... i know that alot of you may wonder how i can stand it, but i have only recently owned decent headphones.... 128k mp3 sounded exactly like my cds with my old sony 7502 headphones.... i just got my sennheiser hd 495 and now i am hearing alot of static and basic crap in alot of my mp3s....

i dont want to redownload or rerip all my mp3s..... there is an audio enhancement tool called DFX for winamp i have tried and it works pretty good... i found it at http://www.fxsound.com/ .... can u guys give me any other suggestions?

Jan 16, 2002 at 3:28 AM Post #2 of 16
you're crap outta luck. 192 is bearable. But you're just crap outta luck wit thoswe 128's. sorry.
frown.gif

Jan 16, 2002 at 3:57 AM Post #3 of 16
I use bearshare to download higher quality Mp3's, i basically look for anything 256kbps and above. With DSL, its a snap
biggrin.gif

George

Jan 16, 2002 at 7:37 AM Post #4 of 16
well im on a campus OC-12 connection so downloading is no problem... but some of my songs that i really like are not available anywhere and i lost the cds that i ripped em off of

Jan 16, 2002 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 16
Does bearshare have a bitrate filter? The only program I've seen so far that has a bitrate filter was Napster. Audiogalaxy has one similar to it, but it's a different program altogether? Thanks.

Jan 22, 2002 at 1:14 PM Post #6 of 16
you're right, dfx is by far the best plug-in for winamp or other
players. with the newest version you even get to decide if your
using speakers or headphones. as far as i know there is no
similar or even better program.

the best filesharing-tool imho is kazaa/morpheus. they were
just sold but they have the most users and the best search
options, bitrate, quality, type, whatever.
could be that your new account is restricted to 128 - but it's
no problem to fix that.
get it at www.musiccity.com !

good luck !
jluetzen

Jan 23, 2002 at 7:53 PM Post #7 of 16
128kbps, lol, sorry man.
I download wav files (songs that I do not have CD to) only using Gnucleus, then compress them with lame389 (320kbps) using these command line options:
-b320 -q0 -k -ms input.wav output.mp3
Once I get a 100GB IDE hard drive, I'm going to archive my favorite albums in wav format.

The best plug-in for winamp I've used and purchased is oZone from Izotope. It has restoration pre-sets, even for compensation for lame encoder. =)
http://www.izotope.com/products/ozone/ozonewinamp.html

Well worth it.

Jan 24, 2002 at 10:23 AM Post #8 of 16
wow ! ozone looks awesome
smily_headphones1.gif

can't wait to get home, cause the k6-400 at my office has a hard
time keeping up - output keeps stuttering. dfx did it's share to
the cpu load but ozone just seems to top this.

Jan 24, 2002 at 11:43 AM Post #9 of 16
Use DirectSound for your output. 4k samples, 300ms buffer. If you still get stuttering, increase the buffer and sample one level at a time until you don't get lag anymore.

Feb 10, 2002 at 1:44 AM Post #10 of 16
Wow, this Ozone is awesome!

The preset "Warm sounding equipment" really makes my Beyerdynamic DT250 shine!
It's like going from sterile and dead sounding music to alive, vibrant and kicking music in a second!

Did I mention I'm impressed?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2004 at 1:50 AM Post #11 of 16
I really like it also. Great Enhancer for Winamp.

Nov 9, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #12 of 16
kpxgq said:
i have a crapload of 128-190k mp3s and almost none at higher rate than that..... QUOTE]

Most of the problem is not the bitrate but the encoder quality or the way they ripped the original audio, Exact Audio Copy and Lame Alt Preset standard is a very recommended path. There's no way a MP3 can sound just like the original, is lossy compression, something is missing forever, is a compromise. Magic processing just add different and maybe nicer artifacts to the file. If you want to try more of that for free, use Foobar2000 and dowload every possible plugin: convolver implulses, EQ settings, use Resampling, use dither, different outputs, etc. Enjoy. Try EncSpot also to know the origin of your MP3s and decide: death or life... or use your very own ears for that
biggrin.gif

Nov 13, 2004 at 8:22 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacriste
There's no way a MP3 can sound just like the original, is lossy compression, something is missing forever, is a compromise.

Try comparing a LAME-Encoded 320 kbps MP3 file to the CD original. Let me know any difference you spot.
wink.gif

Nov 13, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by null
Try comparing a LAME-Encoded 320 kbps MP3 file to the CD original. Let me know any difference you spot.
wink.gif

It still isn't the original no matter how you twist and turn it ^^. Mp3s are flat-sounding. If you have a decent audio-equipment you can hear that with whatever mp3 bitrate you use. That flatness will never dissapear no matter what you try to do with it. Even baking it in the oven won't do
icon10.gif

EDIT : Indeed.
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back